Light Monkey/Salvo 21w HiD or Sartek 35w HiD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocolatemonkee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know I'm not comparing apples to apples due to the different wattages but I am faced with two offers, both which sound like good deals (thank god for having good dive buddies for friends).

I dive in mostly fresh water lakes which can have visibility of 10 feet at the worst due to particulate in the water.

One of my biggest concerns with the 35W is that it will be too powerful and the beam, although somewhat focusable, will not penetrate the particulate in the water causing huge back scatter.

The other concern is the 21W is only 200.00 dollars cheaper and is, I hate to say this, ONLY 21W. I'm trying not to buy the 35W just because of it's higher output. It may work out that the less powerful is better in my application.

Thoughts or suggestions that I can use to make a final decision?

Thanks in advance,
CM

I have seen 21W HID and 35W HID side by side on a same dive. 21W is LM, it is mine. 35W is Sartek used by buddy. Light output is no comparison, not even close. 35W throws out a much hotter center spot that penetrate murky water noticeably better.

In terms of wether 35W is too powerful, I would say if you dive mostly day time, then 35W isn't too much light. If you dive at night, then yeah. Even 21W is too much light for night dive.

One more advantage to Sartek 35W but you may have to check. Lots of Sartek's model uses normal HID bulb from car, so replacement is very inexpansive compared to propietary bulb for a lot of LM and Halcyon HID

The more powerful the better in low viz situations. Backscatter is a non issue with a tight focus beam. I have a Salvo 21watt HID and am very happy with it. Not a single failure in hundreds of dives. My gal has the identical light too.

If it were me I would pick the light in better condition with the stronger battery given an option.

I have seen 21W HID and 35W HID side by side on a same dive. 21W is LM, it is mine. 35W is Sartek used by buddy. Light output is no comparison, not even close. 35W throws out a much hotter center spot that penetrate murky water noticeably better.

In terms of wether 35W is too powerful, I would say if you dive mostly day time, then 35W isn't too much light. If you dive at night, then yeah. Even 21W is too much light for night dive.

One more advantage to Sartek 35W but you may have to check. Lots of Sartek's model uses normal HID bulb from car, so replacement is very inexpansive compared to propietary bulb for a lot of LM and Halcyon HID

Both lights are in great condition so I can't use that as a deciding factor so it comes down to the fact that the 21W may not be bright enough during the day dives that we are always on. I've seen both in action but never together. I guess I need to take them for a dive together to decide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom