Light question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpartanLaw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted this in the light accessory board but wondered if I might get some good insight here as well. I am looking at setting up a boomerang tray with a light arm on each side to run with my gopro. I think I have narrowed it down to the Big Blues or Sola 1200 but thought I could tap into the forum knowledge base to make sure I am not missing anything. In this regard, your comments have been very appreciated. If it helps, the following links are the two trays I am currently looking at:

Dual BigBlue VTL2500P - Mounted on BTS Boomerang Tray & Flex Arms Light Set

Dual Sola 1200 Video - Mounted on BTS Boomerang Tray & Flex Arms Light Set

It looks like there is an upgraded 2800 lumen big blue that I am likely going to see about using in lieu of the 2500's included. As far as I can tell, the pro's for the big blues are cost, width of beam, and ability to swap batteries though it appears they may be more prone to flood. The sola's on the other hand are more expensive, appear to have experienced battery life/charging issues but are super light and unlikely to flood.

Anything I am missing? Other options I should consider? I decided against the I-torch due to the lack of a spot but that was considered. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I am making a purchase in the next couple of weeks for a trip to Hawaii.

UW Light Dude Canister Light
Spending that kind of money, I would grab this. It's an incredible deal right now. Clearanced only because the batteries have changed for 2015, but it's still a wonderful investment. You'll get around 3 hours of burn time on high with that canister

Hog Morph 1000 Core - Video - Dive Right in Scuba
That would be my other suggestion, about $650 with second video head on there, you'll get about 2.5hrs of burn time with both heads on. Not nearly as bright, that UWLD video head turns a cave into daylight but it's only one light so you don't necessarily need a tray and it has enough power settings to turn down and burn for a week without recharging....

I am really trying to stick with a tray and arms that will be directed with the tray. Thus, I have pretty much eliminated a canister light.

Plus, I was looking for 120 degrees.

the morph core is commonly mounted on the bottom of a tray and the two light heads go on the arms, the two of them work very well with the gopro on wide, and obviously even better on medium.

Interesting ... I don't suppose you can point me to a website with a same set-up? Sounds like I should definitely check it out.

Here's one of my buddies setups. It's custom made though. He has another base where the canister is mounted 90* and in the middle. He 3d printed the whole rig btw, flex arms and all....

1276214_667796723231028_135279210_o.jpg1277324_667796693231031_1226930798_o.jpg

If your looking at a pair of lights, make sure they are the same colour temperature. Some styles of LED can vary unit to unit depending on design an components.

BRad

I got two tovatec galaxy's that were used (show floor model) for 250 each and they are a dream. At full blast i get a total of 5000 lumens, but i rarely need that much, Usually use them in the medium setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjj8v8tuRAE

If you skip ahead to 6:40 I go under a wreck. They light up the under space rather well. There is also a little night dive footage at the end of the video, but that is not a good judge. Lot of surge and particles the light was bouncing off of, plus I was rocking a hero 2. I'll post a video soon with my new hero 4's using the galaxy's once they come in the mail. (Also, the vid was my first so it's a little rough and long)

Having owned and used both, Bigblue Lights are a better overall value IMHO. More light, less money, more robust, better burn time. Probably not a benefit to most, but I have taken them to 400' and had no issues, while the SOLA lights get buggy at around 200' (switches on/off randomly). Zero flood issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom