Lighting beam angles for video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

426Scuba

Reaction score
What beam angle would you recomend for a dual 35W halogen lighting? 12, 24, 36, or 60 and why?
I was thinking 24.
FYI they will be overdriven to 14.4v

You need a wide enough beam angle to cover the area seen by your lens. A wider beam will waste light and too narrow a beam won't cover your enire field.

The answer to your question is "It depend on how wide the lens is."

Terry

426Scuba:
What beam angle would you recomend for a dual 35W halogen lighting? 12, 24, 36, or 60 and why?
I was thinking 24.
FYI they will be overdriven to 14.4v

Unless you're doing macro, I would go for as wide a bulb as you can find. I have a wide-angle adapter on my video camera and the 40-something degree halogen bulb doesn't even come close to covering the field of view. I have to put a diffuser on it to widen it up. Of course two lights would cover a wider area. Also, mine is a 50w bulb and it still isn't as bright as I'd like. Even in our dark water, it sometimes doesn't "overcome" the natural ambient light. In the tropics, you'd have to get pretty close to see much of an effect.

To start off with I will just be using the stock lens (panasonic PVGS-150) with a DIY flat port housing so I'm sure a wide angle lens is in order some day. I think I will start off trying a 24 or 36 deg. beam. After all at $5 a pop Im sure I can afford to try a couple of different ones unlike if it was an HID.

426Scuba:
To start off with I will just be using the stock lens (panasonic PVGS-150) with a DIY flat port housing so I'm sure a wide angle lens is in order some day. I think I will start off trying a 24 or 36 deg. beam. After all at $5 a pop Im sure I can afford to try a couple of different ones unlike if it was an HID.
With the stock lens and a flat port, either one of those bulbs would be fine. My wide-angle attatchment covers a 180-degree field of view so lighting is much more difficult. Also, the narrower the light beam, the brighter the bulb (for the same wattage/name brand) because it's more "focused".

426Scuba:

Hi 426,
I just got a 60 deg angle, led 48 leds, white, 150 candela at 14 volts with a 2-3 watt power draw and the mfg lists out put at 100 watts and a tec sent me a e-amil and said more like 50 watts. I just threw some power on it prior to building a DIY case and wow it is sweet I think 2 will give me more than I need for video light at depth in the cold deep waters of home.
Brad

moneysavr:
Hi 426,
I just got a 60 deg angle, led 48 leds, white, 150 candela at 14 volts with a 2-3 watt power draw and the mfg lists out put at 100 watts and a tec sent me a e-amil and said more like 50 watts. I just threw some power on it prior to building a DIY case and wow it is sweet I think 2 will give me more than I need for video light at depth in the cold deep waters of home.
Brad

Give me more info... Do they have a website? What kind of $$$

This is the site,
Go to LED lamps,they have 2" the 60 deg are in stock for $24.00 and that is not bad,The narrow beam and of couse real bright ones due to the concentration of light are sold out till the end of the month,
I will use the narrow beam with the wide beam.
My case I am building due to they are 2" and fit into pvc with a lens in a coupling,I will throw up some photos when I am done with it this next week,
Dive safe,
Brad
www.lc-led.com

Moneysavr,

Sounds great keep us informed I would love to see how it does against a 35w to 50w halogen.

Back
Top Bottom