Lights-out Gas Sharing Exit Procedure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone who has taken Cave1/Cave2 recently post what the GUE procedure is for doing a gas sharing exit on the line? Its been 1.5 years since Cave 1 now (time flies) and I've forgotten the details. I know that after getting situated on the line the donator traces the long hose around from the other divers reg, but I can't remember the exact sequence or who has a secure hold of the hose and exactly how it routes anymore, or the exact sequence for crossing over a line...

And even non-single-file, non-touch-contact, I seem to recall there was more formalism to the OOG in Cave 1 than there normally is in OW/Tech1 OOG formation, but can't remember the details anymore...

I won't speak for GUE/cave, but I can tell you what AG's take is (from UTD OhP/Wreck):

Don't bother running the hose through the hand that's on the line. It is okay in warm water, but in drygloves it's a great way to not be able to feel (and thus lose) the line. Besides, it's not really doing anything for you. Instead, make a loop (neat as possible I suppose) to take the slack out, and hold it in the hand which is giving the touch commands.

In this amazingly detailed powerpoint diagram, RED = hose, dotted and dashed = line, blue circles = hands.

Attachments

• share.png
    share.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 108
Yeah, I'm asking really specifically for my GUE cave2 course in MX next month, and therefore really need the current GUE protocols...

From the GUE SOP manual

Loss of Visibility while Sharing Gas
• Stop, stabilize position and reference guideline
• With one hand secure the guideline with a locked OK
• If the guideline is on the right, the hose will feed straight
from the regulator to the right hand, through the locked
OK on the line
• If on the left, the procedure is reversed except the hose will
go behind the OOG diver’s neck and feed through the
locked OK of the left hand
• In both cases both divers are responsible for controlling the
excess long hose
• The Out Of Gas diver will always secure the long hose
• Establish touch contact communication with the remainder
of the team
• Maintain control
• Maintain good control(buoyancy and trim) as not to make
a bad situation worse.
• Exit the cave in an expeditious manner

I'm trying to remember the proper sequence for changing what side of the line you are on.

I wouldn't get too hung up on this one. If you are out of gas and 6 lights have failed, its probably not going to turn out well. I don't know the current GUE procedure, but we always just put the extra hose in the OOG divers right hand regardless of the side of the line you are on. I am sure more thought has gone into it since then.

I wouldn't get too hung up on this one. If you are out of gas and 6 lights have failed, its probably not going to turn out well. I don't know the current GUE procedure, but we always just put the extra hose in the OOG divers right hand regardless of the side of the line you are on. I am sure more thought has gone into it since then.

Yeah, this is more of a course question than a reality question. The SOP manual actually isn't what I remember from Cave 1...

Yeah, this is more of a course question than a reality question. The SOP manual actually isn't what I remember from Cave 1...

Lots of things change, I would ask to go over the current system with your instructor in the dry to refresh.

For me, the big change was from routing the long hose over the OOA recipients doubles to under their body when changing sides of the line. I'm sure there have been more changes since then (6/08)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom