Line Knotting Board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Fridays are for projects at @The Chairman 's!
Been needing to make my own for a long time and started doing some survey work with @mer fairly recently and realized she was borrowing one as well. Called up my dad to see if there were any deck boards laying around from the deck project that I could snag since they were plastic deck boards and look nicer/stay cleaner/etc vs. a standard board. The slight hiccup was that he only had a board just under 8ft and one full 12ft board which was going to make this project rather interesting since we need to make a knot at 10ft in the light and the spool wants to sit behind your shoulder for comfort.
The one on the right is for Mer and is the "traditional" style which is ideal and is straight up and straight down. The other two are "compact" versions which are smaller, but won't be quite as fast due to the extra eyelets causing some drag. I'll keep one and will give the other to Netdoc to keep at Scubaboard HQ.

272300373_10165774438740134_3931778843573878971_n.jpg

Video from Boegarts showing how to use it. He uses a mark slightly shorter than 10ft, though the KUR is using a tight 10ft, so for consistency there are marks at 10ft.

20 minutes to knot 1400 ft,,,,,,that's fast!!

I learned something new today. How guideline get's made. THANKS!!

any chance of firing up the kiln while you're there

So simple. So obvious -- only after someone's demonstrated it, especially as well as that!

Non-FL diver speaking here. Just out of curiosity or MNemo survey tools not very popular in the US. I have used this for mapping caves in Indonesia and found it to be very simple easy and accurate to use. Also like that the software allows you to overlay stick map onto google satellite maps. I guess the only downside is the cost of the unit.

Non-FL diver speaking here. Just out of curiosity or MNemo survey tools not very popular in the US. I have used this for mapping caves in Indonesia and found it to be very simple easy and accurate to use. Also like that the software allows you to overlay stick map onto google satellite maps. I guess the only downside is the cost of the unit.
One of these things costs about $6, the other costs about $600.... Still have to do LRUD's and verify depth at the stations so while it's undoubtedly faster and a bit more precise, it's an awful lot of money.

One of these things costs about $6, the other costs about $600.... Still have to do LRUD's and verify depth at the stations so while it's undoubtedly faster and a bit more precise, it's an awful lot of money.

Yeah I hear you. It is alot of money for what it is, I guess more of a luxury item. I just thought with how massively long some of the cave systems you guys have in FL these units would be fairly popular. I guess the high price is a supply and demand thing. Not like these things are flying off the shelf allowing for mass production at a lower cost.

Yeah I hear you. It is alot of money for what it is, I guess more of a luxury item. I just thought with how massively long some of the cave systems you guys have in FL these units would be fairly popular. I guess the high price is a supply and demand thing. Not like these things are flying off the shelf allowing for mass production at a lower cost.
A few members have them, but it's still nice to always have knotted line when laying. It's one thing if you make a dive with the intention of survey, but if you happen on a random lead in the cave it's always nice to have things knotted so you can survey on the way out. Doesn't matter if you were the first person in there, if it's not on the map, it doesn't count!

Doesn't matter if you were the first person in there, if it's not on the map, it doesn't count!

Yup spot on!! I think everyone forgets there is a lot more to a cave then just finding it and posting an Instagram selfie. Finding it is just the beginning to a lot more work, time and money. In my opinion it does not count until a nice accurate map is produced, small writeup/paper about conditions diving conditions and dry conditions etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom