Line Traps on Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TrimixToo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

I posted in another thread to be wary of this when purchasing spring straps, though I'm not sure many people knew what I meant. But it's not amusing to be entangled, and it so happened that I was pretty deep (~250') when it occurred. Line can and will get caught this way. In my case, it happened following a near-vertical line in poor viz in a silty environment. Turning my foot this way and that did not help. Shaking it did not help. Backing up wrapped the line around my foot.

First pic shows the problem, second my solution. It doubles as a much more effective retainer for the end, which even with the bolt has an irritating tendency to fall off the post. I make the inserts out of plastic now, as anodizing the aluminum is inconvenient, it corrodes rapidly in salt if you don't, and the plastic is a lot easier to machine anyway. Several manufacturers of these things seem to have this problem, so I won't single out the two or three of them who made the ones I have.

Someone said I should patent this, but I'd really prefer that people modify their designs to prevent the problem in the first place. The line trap problem can be solved by itself with larger diameter plastic, fer cryin' out loud, so there is very little cost to making these safer.

Line Trap.jpg
Line Trap 1.jpg

I saw these with clear plastic tube over spring but it didn't occur to me why the mod. Thank you for the heads up!

I saw these with clear plastic tube over spring but it didn't occur to me why the mod. Thank you for the heads up!

Your post makes me wonder if I was clear about where the line trap is. It's between the spring and the end of the metal end that slides over the post. Here's clearer pic of the problem (this one was my fault, but a similar problem exists on the straps and ends as the come from some manufacturers):

Line Trap 0.jpg

Your post makes me wonder if I was clear about where the line trap is. It's between the spring and the end of the metal end that slides over the post. Here's clearer pic of the problem (this one was my fault, but a similar problem exists on the straps and ends as the come from some manufacturers):

View attachment 420294
You are correct, this is different than I pictured. I am still sporting rubber straps, and want to change to spring straps, so I am watching to see how this works out.

You are correct, this is different than I pictured. I am still sporting rubber straps, and want to change to spring straps, so I am watching to see how this works out.

The mod I did works out perfectly. Even by hand I can't make line catch on those ends any more. And if you don't work around line much (from reels, or strong fishing line), the risk is probably smaller with an unmodified spring strap than with the rubber ones, unless the latter have been taped to eliminate the traps caused by the loose ends. You won't regret the switch. SS spring straps are unlikely to break, and they don't have buckles to break, either, if someone drops a tank on them.

I carry a rubber one, with buckles, in my spares box. I've given away two now, I think, to people with broken buckles or straps. I still have plenty "in stock," most with very little use. Anyone need a Mares rubber strap with buckles?

Just trying to justify having paid fifty bucks for the Halcyon straps on top of the cost of the jet fins :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom