Lion Fish Under Control In Parque National

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I found this article in Cozumel 4 you;
Lionfish Population on the Decline in Cozumel

While Lionfish, orPterois volitans, are still a viable threat to the Cozumel reef system, reports from officials from the Cozumel National Marine Park are encouraging. In a recent press conference, the Director of the national park “Arrecifes de Cozumel”, Cristopher González Baca, stated that due to the various strategies that Cozumel has implemented to combat this invasive reef predator, numbers are on the decline. Cozumel has hosted a number of Lionfish tournaments, and has encouraged local restaurants to serve lionfish based dishes. In fact, local fisherman have been boasting that the fish is an aphrodisiac, which has only increased sales.

The island’s Fisherman Cooperative has been instrumental in the sale of lionfish, which is now can be considered “under control.” The Director went on to laud the efforts of the island to control, if not deplete the population, and went so far as to state that our island could serve as an example to other areas besieged by this reef predator.

The next time you’re in the mood for fish, consider ordering the lionfish. For more information on lionfish, check out theNOAA fact sheet.

A hardy well done to those brave commercial fishermen who snuck in and cleaned the park of Pez Leon.

I've got a funny feeling that I know just who may be helping reduce their population. It hasn't been that long since my first dive when I actually saw one so I know just how well those allowed to hunt them have done, but at the same time I'm hearing that they are still doing well at depths most of us can't go.

Keep up the good work Howard! (inside joke for those who know :D )

Steve... like the new handle. :D

"Mexico, F yeah!"

Seriously, have they had anyone check deep off the ledge? I've seen several deep tech diving vidoes which show lionfish thriving in 300'+ waters in the gulf of mexico. They may be declining in the shallow part of the system while prepping for an invasion in the deep.

Keep up the good work Howard! (inside joke for those who know :D )

Steve... like the new handle. :D
His accuracy is getting pretty deadly, I talked to a witness who saw him take something like 10 in a single day a couple weeks back.

"Mexico, F yeah!"

Seriously, have they had anyone check deep off the ledge? I've seen several deep tech diving vidoes which show lionfish thriving in 300'+ waters in the gulf of mexico. They may be declining in the shallow part of the system while prepping for an invasion in the deep.
I have been with a rebreather diver a few times who has done some relatively deep look arounds and while he would just smile as to depth I would estimate from my position (way above) it was around 200'+. He reports that there are Lion fish down deep but the population density is not that high. I think the Lion Fish will concentrate where the food is at on the reef but those that are deeper live longer and get larger due to the reduced human hunting activity. It is nice to come across a pig every once and a while at around 120 -140' who just stares at you with no idea as to whats about to happen.

His accuracy is getting pretty deadly, I talked to a witness who saw him take something like 10 in a single day a couple weeks back.

I'm just praying I'm still as good a dive as he is when I get to that age!

I have an opinion about the declining population in Cozumel. The continued hunting of them is for sure helping but also another factor is the currents. Lion fish lay their eggs near the surface. That egg sack floats in the currents and is carried away. I think , a lot of the lion fish problem is being moved elsewhere. If you look at areas that don't have the currents that Cozumel has, lion fish are thriving despite hunting them. Yes there are more lion fish deeper past 150 ft and they are larger as well as thats where I am having to go to get them now.

Back
Top Bottom