Lionfish/DM's don't care!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny how attitudes change over the years. Its a good thing we didn't all buy into the laissez-faire approach.

Just finished a few days diving Cozumel...D.M.s were spearing lionfish..as was Sally...mostly little ones but it's keeping the numbers down until nature rebalances...people learning to eat them a good thing too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sallye, you should have been with us last Thursday on Planacar caves, saw a huge lionfish deep in a hole. They are learning quick that divers are bad news and hiding in caves ensures one's survival. Steve suggested those divers who miss and or graze are teaching them.

What about reports from tech divers reporting huge numbers below rec. depths? Damm depressing.

Did see 2 spotted drums 1 minute apart on Tunich on Friday, they unfortunately like the same holes as lionfish.

My business is Aquatics, the lionfish which became invasive when the hurricane hit the New Orleans Aquarium. The average lionfish has 600 babies a year. They have no predators in our neck of the woods. In there natural habitat here is a Grouper that keeps them in check. The dorsal fins and pectoral fins have the venom which works if they are alive or dead. Its on all the time they don't control it. the barbs that inject the poison can pierce very thin suits or gloves. Its very painful and you have to have knowledge of all the four letter words to help the pain. I have been stung many times, I am fully versed, Rick

My business is Aquatics, the lionfish which became invasive when the hurricane hit the New Orleans Aquarium. The average lionfish has 600 babies a year. They have no predators in our neck of the woods. In there natural habitat here is a Grouper that keeps them in check. The dorsal fins and pectoral fins have the venom which works if they are alive or dead. Its on all the time they don't control it. the barbs that inject the poison can pierce very thin suits or gloves. Its very painful and you have to have knowledge of all the four letter words to help the pain. I have been stung many times, I am fully versed, Rick

Hey Rick,
You might enjoy this site. Lots of good info in one place. The World Lionfish Hunters Association - Welcome to Our Virtual Lionfish Hunting Lodge? : The World Lionfish Hunters Association

Lionfish were reported on Florida's east coast long before Katrina hit NOLA. Reproduction numbers are much higher than 600 a year; one egg sac (they release two) contains thousands. Those barbs travel through thick suits and gloves as though the materials were butter, thus the use of medical or industrial sharps gloves and due care.

I thoroughly agree about the severity of the sting, though. Hurts like %+*^€¥£#!! Quick pressure around the puncture to cause bleeding (no cutting!) can help remove much of the venom and alleviate the need for swearing. :)

Keep up the good fight! Studies are showing that controlling in numbers in limited areas is effective in preserving those species that would otherwise disappear as prey. And may nature reach a balance soon...

Hey Rick,
You might enjoy this site. Lots of good info in one place. The World Lionfish Hunters Association - Welcome to Our Virtual Lionfish Hunting Lodge? : The World Lionfish Hunters Association

Lionfish were reported on Florida's east coast long before Katrina hit NOLA. Reproduction numbers are much higher than 600 a year; one egg sac (they release two) contains thousands. Those barbs travel through thick suits and gloves as though the materials were butter, thus the use of medical or industrial sharps gloves and due care.

I thoroughly agree about the severity of the sting, though. Hurts like %+*^€¥£#!! Quick pressure around the puncture to cause bleeding (no cutting!) can help remove much of the venom and alleviate the need for swearing. :)

Keep up the good fight! Studies are showing that controlling in numbers in limited areas is effective in preserving those species that would otherwise disappear as prey. And may nature reach a balance soon...

Nature did rebalance. You moved to Coz.....

Sallye is right, the myth of the hurricane releasing them has been proven wrong. It's as simple as people releasing them into the ocean when they don't want the aquarium anymore. Wasn't an issue until 2 got together.... I thought the asian carp was the similar but it was aquaculture gone wrong! Like rabbits in Australia (plus a whole lot of other creatures there), zebra mussels in the Great Lakes etc etc. Yet Atlantic salmon are allowed to be farmed in Pacific waters, and they want to farm a new super genetically engineered salmon! Will we ever learn?

Sallye is right, the myth of the hurricane releasing them has been proven wrong.

Well that's funny, cause I was told that they (I assumed NOAA) had traced the DNA lineage to 8 lionfish that came from hurricane tanks (not necessarily the aquarium) that are the origin. Probably doesn't really matter.

Well that's funny, cause I was told that they (I assumed NOAA) had traced the DNA lineage to 8 lionfish that came from hurricane tanks (not necessarily the aquarium) that are the origin. Probably doesn't really matter.

How about the rumor a FL dive op introduced them on his house reef to entertain divers?

How about the rumor a FL dive op introduced them on his house reef to entertain divers?

Or how about the rumor that they were first called Tigerfish (how many lions have you seen with stripes?) but then someone realized the name was already taken....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom