Lionfish Hunt with REEF, & BBQ - by Force-E

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Lionfish Hunt with REEF, & BBQ - by Force-E

Here's a cool event for May 5th... come out and join in on the fun!

Force-E Lionfish Hunt with REEF

Join us for a workshop followed by a dive and BBQ on May 5th, 2012

The workshop is 9:30am-11:30am at Force -E Dive Center in Pompano Beach located at 1312 N. Federal Hwy

Followed by 2 Tank dive at 1:00pm

A bar-b-que will follow the dive with a lionfish cooking demo and raffle.

Price $55.00 for dive and BBQ, Price for people just attending the BBQ $10, a donation will go to REEF from this event

Lad Akins, Nikole Ordway & REEF staff will be along to demonstrate collecting and handling tools and techniques.

Call us (954) 943-3483 or stop by the Force-E in Pompano Beach to sign up.

Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• 578919_3529096104375_1181384332_32846201_943162533_n.jpg
    578919_3529096104375_1181384332_32846201_943162533_n.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 579253_3528959060949_1181384332_32846141_955161080_n.jpg
    579253_3528959060949_1181384332_32846141_955161080_n.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 76
I am in.

Chug
Eats 'em.

I'll try to make it. I work in the afternoon but may attend the workshop and BBQ. I'll stop by the shop and sign up
once I know for sure.

Do we need any special equipment for the dives - I presume its to catch the lionfish?

I'll try to make it. I work in the afternoon but may attend the workshop and BBQ. I'll stop by the shop and sign up
once I know for sure.

I recommend that even if you are not going to attend the dive itself that you phone in to Force-E in Pompano to help them have an accurate head count. I have been told that there is still plenty of room as the new location is ginormous.

Do we need any special equipment for the dives - I presume it is to catch the lionfish?

I think this particular program by REEF ends up with netting and bagging techniques being taught.
I took this same REEF class a few weeks back in Miami.
I am not certified/good/on paper competent to go in to the sanctuary areas in Monroe County and live catch the little bastages.

This being said, we shoot them for the most part off of Palm Beach, Broward and Dade counties.
There are places in Monroe County where you can only live bag them.

You will also learn not just from REEF but many of the other attendees themselves about the various options for extermination with extreme prejudice.

I use the "Lion Tamer" on the little ones, and a JBL D-6 with a tri-point tip for the bigger ones.
Force-E has all the tools you need to get ready as far as nets, spears, gloves and such, and as the class runs from 9:30 to 11:30 and dive is not until 1 or so, there is time to drop some money and get the implements should you need something like gloves or spearing devices.

i will be on a private boat most likely.

Chug
Generally kills them on sight.

Last edited:
You will need a Florida Fishing License

You will need a Florida Fishing License

Nuh-Uh!!

Well sorta......some boats have the license.

Chug
Smarty pants.

Nuh-Uh!!

Well sorta......some boats have the license.

Chug
Smarty pants.

Yeah huh! I don't know one dive boat with a Charter and Headboat Operator's and Guides License. I remember the state trying to require it for dive boats, but they were able to fight it. Personally I think if they are going to have hunters on the boat they should have it. Makes it easier for their customers (especially out of state), and the much of the money goes back to support the sportsman and women of Florida.
[h=1][/h]

Yeah huh! I don't know one dive boat with a Charter and Headboat Operator's and Guides License. I remember the state trying to require it for dive boats, but they were able to fight it. Personally I think if they are going to have hunters on the boat they should have it. Makes it easier for their customers (especially out of state), and the much of the money goes back to support the sportsman and women of Florida.

The last time I checked Aquatherapy and Sea Experience had a boat license.

But you are right, there was a little fear of aggravation there a while ago, and several boats did buy the permits.

I am unsure where it is now.

Chug
Yuh-Huh's with the best of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom