Lionfish Hunter PADI certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I totally agree. I’d add that I’d also like to avoid injuries to me or the folks around me, from either a spear or lion fish.

All of the replies so far have already given me more knowledge on the subject than I started with, which is the benefit of a community like this.
I haven't been to Jamaica since pre-COVID times. Then, a license was required to hunt LF. I believe a cert was required to get the license. I want to believe the the license requirement isn't a money grab, but instead, relates to a real effort by JA to improve the health of the reefs.
I don't know about CTI, but at CSA you'll see some DMs hunting on every dive. You can also get your catch cooked up for you at Seagrapes (beach grill). Maybe CTI has a similar capability.

You mean if they are carrying a spear? Maybe.
I don't like to be around people with weapons who do not have some weapons training; that goes for the gun range as well as the dive boat.
Formal training for the use of spearguns, is very rare. I think most just pick it up by doing, however I too am nervous around strangers who are carrying weapons.

I can't begin to count the number of times I have looked up, only to see a loaded speargun pointing at me; perhaps most disappointing is when it is my speargun that I have carelessly set it down in an unsafe position. I generally remind people not to point their speargun at me before we dive, sometimes it works.

A PADI Lionfish "Hunter" Certification? Really?

"A 'Lionfish hunt' for $65 or spring for the more in-depth study and certification ($165)?"

Paid less for my open-water, back in the day.

There was a recent thread, speculating why there was such a recent downturn in scuba participation. I would venture that inane nickel and diming may have something to do with it.

A "Gringo tax," if there ever was one.

I have been pronging Pterois -- no, "hunting," because they're such a challenge -- a number of the invasive lionfish species, most everywhere warm that I have ever worked or vacationed, for decades -- even have a cookbook or two on my shelf.

I aced-out the last one, in Florida, with an absentminded swipe of a lobster tickler and must have eaten dozens of them over the years. Most everyone nowadays seems to be using EMT shears for line cutting -- perfect. Wear some oyster or heavy gloves, and just trim away all of the fins, including the oft-forgotten nasty anal fins, and prepare as you would any other mild white fish.

Ceviche was always tasty, quick and dirty.

There -- saved you 165.00.

I am, though, breathlessly awaiting the course and, yes, embroidered patch for donning socks, rock-boots and hoods (which always threw me) -- probably to be offered in 2023 . . .

Attachments

• m_63364080b533ff24c55c34fb.jpg
    m_63364080b533ff24c55c34fb.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 75
So far, all of the data indicates that this is an effective strategy.

Lionfish Research - this article is about an on-going project in FGBNMS to study this very issue. I have been participating in it since 2015. Interestingly, we were not out for almost two years and the population had not grown that much in number, but the fish being removed were larger.

Thanks for sharing the articles! I have been worried about divers feeding the fish and the oh so food motivated predators.

Back
Top Bottom