Lionfish Hunter PADI certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do NOT want to be a dive boat or in a dive group with some untrained coyboy with a spear.
Will you be checking BAC at the bar when people are leaving about the same time as you?

A few years ago some friends and I were waiting to get on a dive boat in south Florida. We were standing in a grassy area between a parking lot and the marina. A small boat with what appeared to be teenagers tied up in the spot closest to us. They started to unpack their boat. We then heard a loud thwack as a spear smacked into the concrete block marking a parking spot in the parking lot, missing one of my friends' ankle by a couple inches.

You can't guarantee that rules and training will prevent mishaps, but they will lower the possibility. No, we don't check the BAC of everyone leaving a bar, but the fact that the DUI rules exists greatly limits the potential for that danger.

Will you be checking BAC at the bar when people are leaving about the same time as you?
You mean if they are carrying a spear? Maybe.
I don't like to be around people with weapons who do not have some weapons training; that goes for the gun range as well as the dive boat.

I find it hilarious that so many people seem to think they can learn anything they want by reading about it, thinking about it, or watching a YouTube video. If it is so easy to get smart and to get skilled, why are so many people apparently neither? Just sayin'.
Reading, listening, thinking and practicing a subject are the easy parts of learning in school or a specific course. The hard part for many people in the learning process is having the desire, self-motivation and determination required to do the easy parts.

I do NOT want to be a dive boat or in a dive group with some untrained coyboy with a spear.
I agree with you. That is one of the main values of any of the courses is hopefully practice with the spear setup. I don't know about other places but here in Utila, it is illegal to use anything but what is usually referred to as the Hawaiian sling type spear. showing up with anything besides that will just get it taken away from you. Learning curve on a Hawaiian sling is pretty small, as is the "damage radius" of it.

I find it hilarious that so many people seem to think they can learn anything they want by reading about it, thinking about it, or watching a YouTube video. If it is so easy to get smart and to get skilled, why are so many people apparently neither? Just sayin'.
People learn in different ways. For some, reading and watching the right videos is enough. That’s pretty much what makes up the academic portion of dive classes these days. Though a dive class will have an instructor explain portions and answer questions.

A certificate does not necessarily relate to skills.
Why would you hunt for a lion fish?
Is it especially tasty?
Extremely tasty. Go to the link that Johnoly posted and order some. You can thank me later.

One role of the instructor is direct feedback on those nascent skills.
While this is true, it does not necessarily result in acquired skills.

My goal, from the perspective of the less experienced diver, is to get competent enough to not be a burden on more experienced dive buddies, so they can enjoy the other aspects of the dive. But also have them with me to be my question sponge so I can learn more :cool:

My goal, from the perspective of the less experienced diver, is to get competent enough to not be a burden on more experienced dive buddies, so they can enjoy the other aspects of the dive. But also have them with me to be my question sponge so I can learn more :cool:
I totally agree. I’d add that I’d also like to avoid injuries to me or the folks around me, from either a spear or lion fish.

All of the replies so far have already given me more knowledge on the subject than I started with, which is the benefit of a community like this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom