Lionfish in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello All...This is ScubaBobFlorida asking anyone for an update on the Lion Fish invasion currently underway in Cozumel Mexico. Specifically, what is the official position of the Marine Park? Are we (divers) encouraged to capture these fish if possible? If so, deliver specimens to where?
I am planning a trip to Cozumel soon and would love to assist...I do have some experience in netting and bagging specimins. I am an avid underwater photographer and have a tremendous respect for the reef's ecosystem.

I am just back from Cozumel and the DMs were dispatching lion fish during the dives. There were three removed one on dive alone. On one occasion a lion fish was bagged. I believe they were going to photograph before dispatching and reporting. I was surpised at the number of lion fish found - seemed much more prevalent than I was expecting. I dont know if divers are allowed to dispatch or help bag.

Are lionfish not a threat in the Red Sea because they are not there at all or because they got there naturally and long ago so that they occupy a stable niche in the food chain?

Apologies for late reply, I have not been getting any notifications.

There are plenty of lionfish there. First place I ever saw them. They exist with the other fish.

The species in the Red Sea, Pterois miles or devil firefish, is naturally occurring -- not an introduced, exotic species. It has natural predators there, specifically the coronetfish and (a widely held but unproven belief) sharks. Not so for the Red Lionfish, Pterios volitans, we see here, which are an Indo-Pacific species without natural predators in the Atlantic or Caribbean. (No one is depending on groupers for control since they show no preference for lionfish -- some have been seen spitting them out -- and especially since the lionfish here are eating juvenile groupers.) Unfortunately, the Red Sea fish or their egg masses have made it through the Suez Canal and devil firefish are becoming established in the Med where it has no natural predators.

Thank you for the explanation. I did not realise they were two different species.
I know an eel took a bite out of the one a DM caught and other fish then took bites out of what was left.

I know that this thread is a little old, but I just uncovered it today.

Any recent updates Deborah? Anyone else have some recent news? We are planning a possible 4th trip in June, & DH & I are really saddened to hear the lionfish news!

14 months plus since the first discovery and now you're likely to see one or a few on most sites. In the marine park, divers should point them out to their DM's who are authorized to catch or kill at their option. Outside of the park, anyone can capture or kill or report sightings to the park office which will send divers to take the fish.

The marine park together with private sponsors, held a hunt late February at the north end -- 259 fish were brought ashore. They're planning another tournament, now scheduled in May, to capture fish on the east side.

I saw one on April 17th, on my first dive (checkout dive) along the limestone wall (shore dive) south of the Hotel Cozumel. During the week we also saw 2 floating on the surface after having been dispatched.

What I think is that the intention to catch and kill any lion fish that is sighted is great...but will it really help? If this species migrated over time ALL THE WAY from the indo pacific, there will be reasons for it, like for example the nature imbalance that might have been created by humans, or if you want to discuss it by just a simple natural phenomen that is not even for us to grasp. Maybe the capturing can slow down the increase in numbers a little bit, but stop it? Probably not. In my opinion, as sad as it might seem, nature will take its course, unfortunately. Another thing to consider is, is it a safe procedure if dive guides are catching lion fish while they are guiding divers? I saw myself in cozumel, a guide fishing out a lionfish with an empty mask box! Not an easy procedure and certainly with its dangers, if you consider these fish have spines with pretty nasty neuro toxins. Now if while catching a lion fish this way, one of the groups divers would have gotten into trouble? Or what if the fish hunter gets stung...should he just quickly abort the dive and rush to the surface?.....I think a dive guide has to focus and watch his divers, not scout for lion fish. Consider that, but I think the tournaments organised by the marine park to capture the lion fish are great idea. Just my two cents..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom