Lionfish in DR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCDiver1

Ductus Exemplo
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Having just returned from DR i was shocked at how the Lionfish have proliferated there. Damn things were everywhere. Sounds like the government might be taking proactive steps at eradicating the little blighters according to some of the locals. I hope so, they are multiplying fast!

Maybe their government needs a little incentive?

Pecan Encrusted Lionfish with Latin Rice and Black Bean-Corn Salsa
Ingredients
Pecan Encrusted Lionfish:

• 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Olive oil, for sauteing
  • 3 fillets rainbow Lionfish
  • Flour, for dusting
  • 1 small bag crushed pecans
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • Black Bean and Corn Salsa, recipe follows
  • Latin Rice, recipe follows
Directions
Combine just enough garlic and olive oil to coat the bottom of a large, heavy frying pan and adjust the temperature to medium heat. Dust the Lionfish fillets with flour, and then dip the fillets in the beaten egg mixture. Dredge the fillets in crushed pecans. Saute the fish in the olive oil until cooked through - approximately 4 minutes each side depending on thickness of fillets.
Serve with Salsa and Latin Rice.
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Black Bean-Corn Salsa:
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (12-ounce) can sweet yellow corn, drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes with onions, drained
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mix all of the ingredients in a non-metallic bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Serve the salsa as an accompaniment to the pecan Lionfish.
Latin Rice:
1 (14-ounce) bag yellow rice
1/2 (13.25-ounce) can petite green peas
1 small jar pimientos
1 tablespoon olive oil
Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package, adding some olive oil to the water. Add 1/2 can of the peas and entire jar of pimentos to the rice and stir is together gently. Serve with the black bean and corn salsa and the rainbow Lionfish.

It's not only the government that should do something about it. Dive shops should help too. I tried to get together with some and organize a group to go hunting for the lion fish, but all of them seam too busy to have time to do anything. The only one really interested in our area was Dressel Divers. I haven't heard about any others trying to help.

Did you talk to Uwe at Gri Gri Divers. He seemed very interested in trying to keep the population down.

I can see Uwe taking proactive steps with Lionfish Recipes; but I don't see Lionfish being on the Govt's priority list?

Wouldn't be a big surprise as governments go if that were true. Sometimes you have to take things into your own hands.:wink:

You know, it might not be a bad selling point for a dive op--we take you diving, and grill a fresh-caught lionfish lunch on your return to shore!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom