LIONFISH Sightings 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I think it would be a good idea to start keeping track of lionfish sightings in the DI / Pensacola / Destin / Panama City areas so we can get an idea of their numbers and coverage.

3/19/2011 - Spotted two lionfish on the YDT-15, about 14 miles South of Pensacola. One was killed, one got away. Did one other dive in the area that same day (closer inshore) but didn't see any other lionfish.

Here are "before" and "after" photos of the one I saw :D

I also saw one on the same set of dives at YDT-15 but I was unable to get a shot on the one I saw. After I took the photo it disappeared into a small hole.

P3199456.jpg

Does anyone know how quickly they spawn and if they have a certain period during the year when they spawn? Also, how can you kill them if your not a spear fisherman?

Key Largo is also concerned about them. They must be trying to take over the Gulf one dive site at a time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom