LIONFISH Sightings 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lion fish are absolutely beautiful animals. My buddy saw one in Pensacola a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know how quickly they spawn and if they have a certain period during the year when they spawn? Also, how can you kill them if your not a spear fisherman?

It can be as often as every 4 days. We have a LF management program in the Caribbean and we are pulling fish out of the water nearly every day now.

I am a volunteer for Core and you can read more about the organization at the website

The CORE Foundation

also check out Facebook for more information. Search: The Core Foundation.

Lion fish are absolutely beautiful animals. My buddy saw one in Pensacola a few weeks ago.

They are an invasive species and they are eating all the other beautiful animals that are indigenous on sites they show up at as they have no natural predators here.

We probably saw 70 or so in the Ft. Lauderdale area earlier this year, zero the year before.

I started seeing them in the Ft Lauderdale area about 3 years ago, but it was not common then.

Keep in mind a couple of things:

1. They are wonderful tasting.. yes you need to cut all the spines off, and it is advisable to have a pair of puncture resistant gloves (not cut resistant, the ones use by people handling used needles)

2. Bull sharks will eat them when dead without any issues. In San Salvador, killing them lead to attracting a lot of sharks.

3. A short pole spear without any tangs on the point works really well to just kill them, as you don't have to handle them to get them off.

They are an invasive species and they are eating all the other beautiful animals that are indigenous on sites they show up at as they have no natural predators here.

Oh yes I am aware of this. I was just giving my $.02 I asked my friend in Pensacola if he bagged his and he says he did. He didn't kill any more though.

While on our trip to the Keys, the divemaster said that they also destroy the coral reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom