Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Little Cayman this past Saturday. While I was there last week, I found a Lionfish at a dive site called "Mixing Bowl". Got it on video! I reported it to the DM and I think they let the powers to be take it from there. Another group saw it the next day as well. Our DM also found one that week. They carry a marking device with them and mark where it was found so the collection people can come out and look around for it.

But of all the reefs we visited and all the folks in the water that week, I think only three were spotted all week. So it's not a problem.........yet.

"In war, truth is the first casualty." Aeschylus

If lionfish are so aggressive and eat all the other little fishes, why are there still 'little fishes' swimming around on the reefs in the Pacific where this little fish normally lives? I have heard this same old scare tactic all my life about one thing or another, and most prove to be nothing but that, just something to get folks all worked up over what Mother Nature will take care of in Her own good time.... just my $0.02 worth....

jbeach:

The difference is that the little Pacific fishies know that the Lionfish is a preadator and the little Carribbean fishies do not know that.

I understand there was a study done in which a group of little Pacific fishies were put into a tank and then a Lionfish was introduced. The little Pacific fishies retreated into hiding. Next a group of Carribbean little fishies were put into a tank and then a Lionfish was introduced. The little Carribbean fish did not go into hiding. Pretty soon the tank had one fish in it, the Lionfish, no little Carribbean fishies.

Trust me, this is not much about nothing.

Good news is that they don't move much here in the Carribean. Makes them easy spearfish target, then I found out that they float if you cut them in 1/2.

MWAHHHAHAHAHAH~ I'm now their only PRETATOR! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom