Liquid Skin Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

like2try

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi ,
I am having real difficulty obtaining the correct type of mask from a local dive shop. My wife (who is the diver, not me ) has had a picture of a Mares Liquid Skin (Mid) in the colour Blue Fog on her pc for a while and she also has a pic from a recent dive magazine. All of her equipment is the Mares manufacturer and she loves the new Mares 'she dives' range too.

I decided to buy this for her from my local dive shop in NYC this week. I gave them all of the exact same details as above .
I was told it was a special order and would cost an extra $25 for the delivery fee...on top of the $87.50
So in order to get the gift for my wife I paid. including taxes and shipping it cost $116
Three days later I get a phone call that it is in stock. (I actually think they had it in stock anyway ....but hey thats another matter)

I have been and picked it up wedensday night. It did not look like the one in the magazine i told the store assistant.They told me it was so I took their word.
I got it home and sneaked a look at my wifes pc and realised it was not the right mask.

I took it back tonight and the guy gave me a new second mask .

When I get it home and open the box it says Mares on the box but it also says X Vision accross the top of the mask and the following numbers 411024 BXCL BGR Maschera X- vision mid blue grey and also a bar code on the box. Nowhere does it say liquid skin (which is the type of mask my wife wants .)

I seriously beleive that the mask i have been sold is not a Liquid Skin as when I google the make and model # above all I get are dozens of websites with a cheap older model for $49 to $59. And again the words liquid skin are not mentioned on any site anywhere. I think that with the extra shipping and everything I have been conned into paying $120 for a $50 mask.

Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to take it back to the store again and begin arguing unless i know what I am talking about.

These unscrupulous dive shops are supposed to be ''the professionals " . I am just a person trying to buy a gift !!

I think it started out there was one Liquidskin mask but it seems like the "liquidskin" technology is turning into a whole line for Mares, or they are making liquidskin versions of a number of their masks. One of them is the XVision Liquidskin. So maybe you asked for a liquidskin and got one, but weren't specific enough in what you asked for. The part numbers shouldn't lie though, and I'm not sure I trust a shop that charges you $25 in shipping for a mask, unless you insisted on getting it the next day or something. (When you buy over the net you pay shipping; when you buy from the local shop you generally pay more for the item but you should be saving shipping. If they sell Mares they will periodically be ordering from them anyway.)

In a way all that doesn't really matter though. Dive masks can be pretty hard to get the right fit, often a person needs to try on a bunch to get one that doesn't leak. It might even turn out some cheaper mask fits better and that's the most important thing, if not the only important thing. If your wife has not had an opportunity to actually try the mask she has a picture of, it doesn't matter how much she thinks she likes the brand or if she likes what it looks like or what she reads. It's really nice to surprise her with something she wants but buying a mask without trying it is not usually a good idea. If she doesn't return it for being the wrong one, she might be returning it because it doesn't fit.

The liquidskins are really nice though and I was having a hard time finding a new mask that fit until I tried that one.

You'll have to get back to that store again,
4111024 is the productcode for the X-vision mid (non liquidskin)
the code for the Liquidskin X-vision mid should be 411029.

As a sidenote get a refund and find an other dealer

Hope it helps

Thank you for the information....

Hi,

Sorry you have not gotten what you want. The original X-Vision comes in two sizes, reg and Mid.

The X-Vision Liquid Skin (which is what you seem to want) also comes in a reg and a mid.

It seem you received an X-Vision Mid, not a LiquidSkin mask.

If you want PM me your contact info along with the place of purchase. I drop you a note on monday and try to assist.

best regards,

Phil

Thank you for replying ....I went back to the store today and the store assistant exchanged the mask for the correct one I wanted.

Thanks Again

Back
Top Bottom