Lithium Battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

426Scuba

Reaction score
From a safety stand point I was thinking about my supplied lithium battery for my camcorder and what would happen if the housing flooded or just enough moisture to short the contacts into thermal overload. I do know that lithium and water do not mix and lithium and water produce a large amount of gas/heat/fire when exposed to eachother. So I was thinking of making a battery pack from AA's NIMH, thinking it would be a little safer and would also be a cheap battery pack to boot.

So am I crazy or is this a good idea?

But what about the camera?!?! :wink: I'm not sure about the battery but if the AA pack matchs up (test it) to the same running time then it could be worthing doing it that way.

Just look after the camera.

If the batery explodes I'm sure the camera is junk. Yea my camera takes 7.2V so 6 AA 1.2 volt NIMH will work good.

If the battery pack gets wet in saltwater, it's likely to short out and fuse to the back of the camera. So then it really is junk.

I drowned a TRV900 with its InfoLithium battery while snorkeling a few years ago. Everything shorted out, but the battery did not explode.

I believe most, if not all Lithium Ion batteries use a compound like lithium cobalt oxide which is not water reactive like metallic lithium. But I'm no chemist, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom