Little Cayman Dive Operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a buddy team starts and ends the dive together.

Then whomever I get partnered with had better be ready to follow me because I'm not missing out on something simply because they aren't interested. Then again, I hate the buddy system because of the fact that I tend to always wind up with some who has problems with making their air supply last very long.

Having just learned about this CDNN site on this topic, I went there to see for myself... all I can say is someone sure does want to make scuba diving look very bad... I have dived with most of the operations on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman for several years (over 20) and have found them all to be very conservative and cautious in dealing with tourist divers. Accidents happen everywhere but scuba diving still has one of the best records for the number of people diving around the world....

58 DAYS 18 HOURS and I am off to Little Cayman to DIVE.....

Then whomever I get partnered with had better be ready to follow me because I'm not missing out on something simply because they aren't interested. Then again, I hate the buddy system because of the fact that I tend to always wind up with some who has problems with making their air supply last very long.

Luckily for me my buddy is my wife. We are both photographers, and run about the same on air consumption.

Luckily for me my buddy is my wife. We are both photographers, and run about the same on air consumption.

Lucky you. Unfortunately for me, my fiancee has yet to learn to swim (we're working on that this summer) and has zero interest in diving. Then again, most of the diving I do she would not be interested in anyhow since there isn't much to see in lakes, ponds and quarries around here even if you could see more than 3-4 feet.

It's this lack of visibility that spurred me- beyond even my mile-wide self-preservation streak- to become self reliant and not operate under the idea that the only way to dive safely is to have a buddy with you. No offense to the other guys on this list, but around here the only way to keep track of your buddy is basically to hold hands so you don't get separated in the gloom and doing so is enough to make me stay on shore if I am ordered to have a buddy "or else".

More than once I've told a divemaster to go do something anatomically impossible when he started berating me about my "lack of concern for safety" (which is rather ironic given that I research safety as part of my job) and "not being a 'team player'" and I won't hesitate to do so again. It's exactly that sort of attitude problems amongst DMs and other divers that make me prefer shore diving where I don't have to waste time explaining my stance to them when we all could be diving instead.

That doesn't mean they have to stay together during the dive.....:wink:

Where are you a divemaster at? I want to have someone with your attitude as a DM more often!

I agree with Dropkick, a lot of DM try to be to 'controlling' of other divers even to the point of being very rude. It is the same problem that I had when I was in the Marines and some 'shavetail LT' with some schooling tried to boss around the older, much more experienced 'old salts' just because the LT had to authority to do so. The same with these DM who have had their PADI DM course, or SSI, or whatever, and now they KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT DIVING AND DIVERS. I know they have a job to do, but they do not know it all. Over the years I have had many confrontations with so called DM, and instructors, that I would not have employed on any of my boats. Somehow they learned that just because they are Dive MASTERS, they now control everything we do. thanks for letting me put in my $.02 worth in....

56 DAYS AND FIVE HOURS UNTIL LITTLE CAYMAN.....

As a P/S to my own post, I have also known many DM who are really great and work with all skill levels of divers and do a wonderful job 'looking out of everyone'. The best DM for me is one that is there to help me back on the boat, off with my gear, and hands me something cold to drink.... and then listens to my stories back at the bar over another 'cold one' as the day slips away......:D:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom