Little Cayman Dive Operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Dropkick, a lot of DM try to be to 'controlling' of other divers even to the point of being very rude. It is the same problem that I had when I was in the Marines and some 'shavetail LT' with some schooling tried to boss around the older, much more experienced 'old salts' just because the LT had to authority to do so. The same with these DM who have had their PADI DM course, or SSI, or whatever, and now they KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT DIVING AND DIVERS. I know they have a job to do, but they do not know it all. Over the years I have had many confrontations with so called DM, and instructors, that I would not have employed on any of my boats. Somehow they learned that just because they are Dive MASTERS, they now control everything we do. thanks for letting me put in my $.02 worth in....

Right, my favorite was the time I was diving off a small dive boat in Florida to see a wreck. The DM did not like the way one of the other divers was doing something- not sure what precisely as I missed the beginning of the confrontation- but I turned and politely told the DM "I think he knows what he is doing". The DM told me to shut up and mind my own business. The diver he was criticizing and his buddy (whom I had had lunch with earlier in the day) were both SEALs so you can guess how quickly the DM backed down when he realized his mistake.

56 DAYS AND FIVE HOURS UNTIL LITTLE CAYMAN.....

Enjoy your trip! We are really looking forward to our trip to Grand Cayman in November.

As a P/S to my own post, I have also known many DM who are really great and work with all skill levels of divers and do a wonderful job 'looking out of everyone'. The best DM for me is one that is there to help me back on the boat, off with my gear, and hands me something cold to drink.... and then listens to my stories back at the bar over another 'cold one' as the day slips away......:D:wink:

Correct, I have also dealt with several DMs who are outstanding. In fact, most of them- especially after they've had their credentials for a couple of years at least- are good folks. It seems to be the newly minted ones that cause most of the problems in my experience (limited as it is).

Interesting how far afield this thread has morphed from the original topic.

I took a look at the CDNN article and find it to be nothing but sensationalized nonsense.

Interesting how far afield this thread has morphed from the original topic.

I took a look at the CDNN article and find it to be nothing but sensationalized nonsense.

So true about CDNN being 'sensationalized nonsense', enough said. But, some of us really love just to 'sound off' from time to time and thanks for letting us....

54 DAYS TO LITTLE CAYMAN... and a few hours....

So true about CDNN being 'sensationalized nonsense', enough said. But, some of us really love just to 'sound off' from time to time and thanks for letting us....

54 DAYS TO LITTLE CAYMAN... and a few hours....

I'm sure you'll have a great time on LC. Actually, although I don't remember the exact dates, I'll be there at about that time.

I'm sure you'll have a great time on LC. Actually, although I don't remember the exact dates, I'll be there at about that time.

I think you come in mid-week don't you? We are Sat - Sat.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! I'm showing my ignorance of the sport quite a bit, but if you can't ask questions, then THAT's a real problem. I'm learning so much by reading these forums and really appreciate all the experience and knowledge. So I'll just continue to sit back and listen and learn. :popcorn:

Actually, we show up on the 3rd.

Looking forward to meeting fellow Tampa Bay divers at LCBR.

Why don't you come to the next Meet & Greet this Friday at Crabby Bill's at the end or beginning (depending on where you are ) of the Courtney Campbell?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom