Little feet, short legs -- chick needs fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueGirlGoes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Especially since on my first dive trip I showed up with snorkel fins and exhausted myself trying to keep up with the big boys. I'm working on my leg strength but Schwarzeneger I will never be.

So what's the best fin for a short-legged, size 6.5 girly girl? I want mad power and speed. :) Thanks!

Your best bet is to slow down your buddies. I couldnt keep up with my primary buddy early on because he's got trunks for legs - years in football etc. I gave up trying and asked him to slow down and that seemed to be what worked - plus theres no rush so just slow the whole thing down to a speed you're comfortable with and tell them to go that speed. So with that in mind, on with the fin advice from everyone - mine is get a simple paddle fin that is not too flimsy. It might be crampy for a little while but you'll get used to it and you'll find you have great control with a simple fin after a while.

steve

Thanks, Wetman. My buddies were good about slowing down but observed that in current I was working twice as hard as they were. I'm looking at some medium-priced Mares non-split fins ... it's hard to know what will work well. My LDS has no pool for test-driving and a small selection to begin with, so I'm buying online.

You may also want to look at your trim. Are you a fairly new diver? When i started i was kicking like mad to keep up - but it had a lot to do with the fact that i was diving almost virtically and kicking not only moved me forward but held me up as well - if i stopped kicking, i would have sunk becaue my trim and buoyancy weren't great at that time. That may be also something you want to think about. My sister just started last year and it was one of the first things she mentioned after we did a dive - "why do i have to kick so much to keep up" - well, it was the same reason i did at first as well. Its something to think about. May not apply in your case though.

steve

but once I sorted out the problems with my first BC my buddies told me I was moving like a mermaid. My buoyancy control is good and I'm pretty horizontal in the water. The short little snorkel fins did NOT help. I'm probably over-analyzing -- any fins I buy will be an improvement.

I'm sure eveybody here has their favorites, and mine are the Mares Volos. I think they kick butt and would highly recommend them. Since you're planning on purchasing online, I see that LeisurePro has them for $99.95--about half of what the LDSs around me sell them for!

If at all possible, try a few styles in different conditions. I have very short legs too, and use scubapro split fins. They give me a good turn of speed in calm water, but I was struggling to keep up in current. Don't know if that's the fins or the pathetic leg muscles though...

I broke down and ordered the Mares Plana Avanti X3 Open Heel, primarily because the price was right AND they came in an Extra-Small size, which I'll need. I wish I could have held out until I was at a big LDS where I could try them on, but don't want to waste the first morning of my next dive vacation trying to find fins. Will report back on them after I use them the first time.

Back
Top Bottom