Avanti Quattro + vs X-Stream vs RK3 vs Supernova - help me choose my next fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hippopotamus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,
I'm looking for an alternative to my Seawing Novas.
I'm a "vacation diver" doing maybe 10 to 20 dives in a good year. Mostly tropical and warm water, nothing that can't be done in a thin wetsuit. I also do quite a bit of snorkeling.
I've had my Seawings for about ten years now and they served me well all this time. I used to cover impressive distances snorkeling (doing 3hrs+ trips along the coast with little fatigue). In other words I'm pretty happy with the propulsion and the ergonomics of these fins.
During diving I was always able to keep up with my partners, even when they were much younger and athletic. The Seawings have very good propulsion, especially for the effort they require. On top of everything I abused them quite a bit an they're almost like new.
However, they have two drawbacks that determined me to look for a replacement. First, they have positive buoyancy (just enough to make them float, which for snorkeling is excellent). But during dives I find it hard to keep an upright position without too many adjustments. Second, they're not much good when it comes to maneuvering and fine control - at least in my experience.
I bought a pair of TUSA Hyflex Switch to replace them. Those are very good fins and their quality is just superb. Maneuvering improved significantly with them; also the buoyancy issue (mostly). However, the Tusas return for me maybe 2/3 of the propulsion of the Seawings for the same amount of effort. One time while using the Tusas the divemaster asked me to meet him at the shot line on the other side of the boat. There was a little bit of current. I would have paid no mind to it with the Seawings. With the Tusas I had to struggle - and arrived at the buoy a bit out of breath before starting the dive. This I can't afford. So I need an alternative.
What other fins could compete with the Scuba Pros in terms of power while also providing better control? My shortlist would be Avanti Quattro+, X-Stream, RK3 and - why not - the new version of the Seawings, the Supernova. But it's a bunch of quite different animals and I have no way to test them all. It will have to be an educated guess.
So, again, what fin is comparable (or better?) to the Seawing Novas in terms of power, but have also improved control? A lighter weight would be a bonus (not exactly the same as buoyancy).
Any advice is appreciated.

But during dives I find it hard to keep an upright position without too many adjustments.
Why would you want to be upright while diving?

And just for clarification: by 'travel' diving, do we need size/weight to take into consideration?

Of the fins you propose, I only have experience with the Mares. Great fins. Big and powerful enough. But quite big, especially compared to something tech-like like the RK3 or any travel fin.

There are at least two commonly recurring instances when you want to be upright: when regrouping near the bottom at the beginning of the dive and while doing your decompression (usually also in a group). These are the situations where I find myself flapping about consuming air while the rest of the group just... stands.
The fins would have to fit in a standard "medium checked" 50lb/23kg suitcase That would be about 25 inches/62 cm max length. Less weight is always a bonus when traveling.

Out of your list, I only have experience with Novas and supernovas. I found it easier to back fin and frog kick with supernovas. The propulsion is quite good but slightly less than my previous Gorilla novas. It was a fair trade I thought because I love my supernovas. I think my search for the best fin is over as I found the last fin I ever need :). They are also modular so you can break them apart for travel if you like. I did not have a problem changing a position while diving with neither fin I have dove (That includes my Atomic splits 😳😀)

There are at least two commonly recurring instances when you want to be upright: when regrouping near the bottom at the beginning of the dive and while doing your decompression (usually also in a group). These are the situations where I find myself flapping about consuming air while the rest of the group just... stands.
The fins would have to fit in a standard "medium checked" 50lb/23kg suitcase That would be about 25 inches/62 cm max length. Less weight is always a bonus when traveling.

You don’t want to be upright in either of those instances….

Avanti Quattro+, X-Stream, RK3 and - why not - the new version of the Seawings, the Supernova.

I have substantial experience with the Avanti Quattro. I retired the Avanti Quattro after I started using my Scubapro Go Sport Fins (you should consider these too). The Go Sport were excellent in every way compared with all of my previous fins. Then I got the SuperNovas fins and they replaced the Go Sport. The SuperNovas are excellent fins surpassing all other fins I have used in the past. I do a lot of surface swimming to reach the dive spot from shore.

I believe that your first choice should be the SuperNovas and second choice should be the Go Sport (Go Sport NOT the Go Travel fins):

P.S. You know that you can break apart the the SuperNoves to take much less space to travel with them?

Super Nova, they won’t be as easy to flutter as the regular nova but close and they add better frog kick and control.

I have substantial experience with the Avanti Quattro. I retired the Avanti Quattro after I started using my Scubapro Go Sport Fins (you should consider these too). The Go Sport were excellent in every way compared with all of my previous fins. Then I got the SuperNovas fins and they replaced the Go Sport. The SuperNovas are excellent fins surpassing all other fins I have used in the past. I do a lot of surface swimming to reach the dive spot from shore.

I believe that your first choice should be the SuperNovas and second choice should be the Go Sport (Go Sport NOT the Go Travel fins):

P.S. You know that you can break apart the the SuperNoves to take much less space to travel with them?
Would you say the Go Sport is powerful enough in some current too? Compared to bigger fins, like the Avanti Quattro, for example?

Would you say the Go Sport is powerful enough in some current too? Compared to bigger fins, like the Avanti Quattro, for example?

I have used them in "slight" current in Libya without any issues. I have used them in Egypt in "moderate" current no issues and not any less power than any other fins. I have NOT used them in stronger current however. In strong current, I just flow with it and not fight it with any fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom