Little present to myself. I think I did pretty well.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people like the idea of using the port on the Dacor valves and it is a reasonable alternative… unless you want to use several tanks.

As far as I know the port in the Dacor valve is not pressurized when the valve is closed so it is easy to install the SPG and it is not harmed by being constantly pressurized.

IMHO, one major disadvantage of having an SPG permanently attached to a tank is the mechanical abuse it can receive when transporting or handling the tank. You need to be vary carful and don’t let the LDS tank fill employees handle your tank. Even with all the best intentions of been careful… it only takes one time and you will need to replace the gauge.

I have seen US Divers horse collars than look like they have never been in the water and still leak due to the age of the bladder. These ones may be OK; I don’t know how old they really are. I personally just stay away from old Us Divers. It is a shame, because I like the US Divers inflator and dump valve design.

The Dacor valve is not pressurized when the tank valve is turned off. At least mine are not. This allows you to remove or install the spg. I would prefer a banjo bolt myself.

I don't think you will have much success with the USD horsecollar, sorry.

Nem

Just could not stand not diving it, could you. :rofl3: I know the feeling.

Good luck with the USD collar, the bladders on those are horrible. I have one that kinda works but the bladder looks like an Aquaseal add. I would not use it for any diving other than a warm quarry and then only for show.

...The easiest way to connect an IP gauge is to use a BC inflator type of quick disconnect hose and attach one of the commercially available IP gauges ...

Are you mounting the female 1/2 of the quick-connect right to the replacement adaptor cap VDH has ? or do you have a length of hose mounted for a BC, even if you don't use one all the time ? if you are using the hose, but no BC, do you just lash it down so it's not flapping around in the water ?

Fred

Just install a standard BC inflator hose in place of the 3/8 plug in the adapter and use one of these
AQUTPCP.jpg
installed on the hose. You can leave the hose installed if you want (not the gauge !!!) but unless you are using it to inflate a BC, I would remove it, no need to have it flopping around. IP gauges like this one are really handy for quick trouble shooting of a reg problem, modern or not. In the field, it's the first thing I grab if a reg is giving me problems, every diver should have one and learn to use it.

I totally agree with Herman. In my save-a-dive kit I always carry that exact same IP gauge (and some tools).

I normally remove the quick disconnect hose if I am not using it, but I have been known to leave attached the QD hose that goes to my dry-suit when I am going back and forth from using a dry-suit and a wet-suit. In that situation I will secure the hose to something on my back pack.

Removing and replacing hoses with the 3/8” (or 7/16” HP) connections is really easy since they use an O-ring seal. Just don’t over tighten them.

Happy B-day ans NICE score! Ya'll got me thinking about gettin some of those old gizmos. I do have a habit, bad or good, of restoring/updating old stuff ('54 Ford F100, '80 KZ1000).
But I have a feeling that after our, "honey, let's go to the Keys but promise me you won't get too serious about diving" vacation, it'll probably be awhile before I buy anymore diving stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom