Live aboards what to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for the great info - exactly what I needed.
I'm looking forward to it - I do have a roommate but don't know her; will try to contact her as it gets closer to time to go.
Thanks again - I'll try to let you know how the trip works out!
Jane

Let me second (or third) the need to take lycra socks to protect your feet. Even if you wear hard soled boots or booties. Your feet will be raw by the 2nd or 3rd day. Something like this:

Xs Scuba lycra Socks reviews and discounts, XS Scuba

Mine are Deep Sea. I always carry two pair just in case one is lost or I need to lend a pair to a buddy.

I so totally agree ! I ALWAYS bring a couple of pairs of dive socks on ALL trips, some of the best $ I've ever spent on dive gear!

You didn't say what boat or where you were going but if you from New Caledonia as your profile indicated you're in a great place. To steal a quote from the Aggressor boats be prepared to "Eat, Dive, Sleep". 4-5 dives a day! Suggest you get to the boat as early as you can to pick out the best spot for your gear and maybe get a better cabin location (if you have a choice).

Some dive boats have spacious cabins. I don't like the Aggressor boats for that very reason. I think the Worldwide Dive and Sail (Siren) boats offer the nicest accomodations for the price. Try the Pelagian or Arenui for 5 star accomodations. Try to pick a liveaboard trip that isn't completely full - I hate cattle boats!

I think Grand Cayman offers the best of the Caribbean. Although I don't like the Aggressor boats. Cabins are too small. Since you live in Nevada you might start thinking about going to the Pacific. The Philippines are great and inexpensive. Direct Nonstop flights from L.A. The Caribbean is like watching Black and White Television compared to High Definition Televison of the Pacific!

I think Grand Cayman offers the best of the Caribbean. Although I don't like the Aggressor boats. Cabins are too small. Since you live in Nevada you might start thinking about going to the Pacific. The Philippines are great and inexpensive. Direct Nonstop flights from L.A. The Caribbean is like watching Black and White Television compared to High Definition Televison of the Pacific!
What liveaboards would you recommend in the Philippines?

Thanks for all the great advice. It really removed the worries from going on my first dive trip and liveaboard. In the end I overpacked a bit with a lot of just-in-case stuff that I didn't use, but others did benefit from the extra stuff (q-tips, eardrops, sea sickness pills, advil).

I am going on my first liveaboard and wondering what to expect? Also for those have have done the liveaboard is there anything you would take but forgot?

Thanks in advance.

Swimmers Ears frequently occur in warm water, multi day/ multi dive trips.
I bought a swimmer ear dryer and also use daily an ear mix of 2 parts water, 1 part vinegar, 1 part mineral oil and 3 parts rubbing alcohol/ peroxide, or just buy some at the dive store. When your ears start itching and turning red, a bit late. I learned this on the a Peter Hughes boat when all that was available was pickle juice, somewhat effective but smelled a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom