Live from Hotel Cozumel and Dive Paradise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubashawn123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
First day of diving.

Yesterday was travel day and getting set up.

What a spectacular first dive off San Francisco wall dive. I caught a nurse shark catching a nap, a big sting ray gliding up steam of the drift current. The largest lobster I have ever seen out in the sand hunting for food. An octopus brown and tan with its head and eyes sticking out of the coral. A big sea turtle cruising endlessly against the current. A great dive and awesome dive operation out of the hotel with a snorkel beach across the way. All the prettiest fish species, too numerous to name, but exotic colors.

First drift dive and I loved it. Current was moving fast along the wall too, looking out to the deep blue dark ocean. That wall is calling. It is amazing the huge variety of colored sponges and different types of colorful coral.

Switching to Nitrox tomorrow to get more bottom time with my Suunto dive computer.

Just an amazing 2 tank morning and full of marine life, like I have not seen in 6 years.

Nice to not have to hike tanks or weights around, and the dive locker option is a must from the dive shop at the freshwater cleaning tanks.

Another interesting note. Some big Underwater Dive Challenge teams are at the Hotel too, shooting the 3rd competition. Ceremonies will be at the square Friday to announce the winner.

It has been way too long for me to be away from the Caribbean Sea. An amazing eco system and thousands of fish.

Did I tell you about the small school of sardines that swam through me on the beginning of the dive. They could have cared less that little ole diver me was checking out the scenery.

Enjoy the time in the south!

Scubashawn......YOU SUCK!!!

And I mean that in the nicest of ways.....:eyebrow:

Thanks for the report. I guess if diving vicariously through you blue water types is all I can do, then, well, I guess it will have to do.

I think I'll go sit on the bottom of lake Texoma and sulk......:sad:

And you didn't ask me to go along to shoot video? I would have...for free even! sigh
Oh, well...thanks for the report anyway. Next best thing to being there (but it's a VEEEERRY distant second!).

Coz rocks. Enjoy!! Looking forward to what other goodies you find...

Where are you staying?

Take lots of pics for the less fortunate of us. :D

I'd guess that he's staying at the Hotel Coz.

Very very jealous. We were there at this time last year. :(
You should check out a shore dive infront of the hotel. There isn't a whole lot of structure or reef infront of the hotel, but there was a surprising amount of wildlife. Everything from snowflake eels, lobsters, big stars, huge puffer fish, octopus, rays, and too many different fish to count.

Enjoy the dives and be safe. Can't wait to read the rest of the reports.

I'd guess that he's staying at the Hotel Coz.

Very very jealous. We were there at this time last year. :(
You should check out a shore dive infront of the hotel. There isn't a whole lot of structure or reef infront of the hotel, but there was a surprising amount of wildlife. Everything from snowflake eels, lobsters, big stars, huge puffer fish, octopus, rays, and too many different fish to count.

Enjoy the dives and be safe. Can't wait to read the rest of the reports.

Yep.............Hotel Cozumel is correct

Day 2 diving started with the Santa Rosa Wall dive and going through all the coral swim throughs, including that tall one that looks like a cave with all the cool formations inside.

What a wall dive, huge sponges and coral hanging off dropping into that deep dark sea.

The visiblity is at least 250 feet or more, looking down and up the wall in the drift was amazing.

I think we were going about 2 knots at times on this wall dive.

The second dive was a reef next to the wall same area as Santa Rosa and boy the current picked up a notch, it was like a 45 minute roller coaster to stay in line with the dive master.

Saw lots and lots of big sea turtles today.

First dive 3 of us were getting low on air, dive master sent us up seperate, I used my lift bag to do the ascent and when we surfaced it looked like a boat convention, dive boats everywhere, and ours was just about a 1/4 mile away picking up another 4 in our dive group. It was cool because another turtle came up to the surface and cruised by us.

Did I say how incredible the wall was, teaming with life, formations, colors and the bright colors from the sun shining down on it?

What a day, I hope to talk the group into a wreck dive tomorrow. See how that goes.

I'll update later, Hotel Coz has incredible hospitality and free wi fi..........just a great way to cater to the dive crowd down south.

Ah, Shawn- you bring my recent adventures back to life with your colorful descriptions- thank you, my friend... I think that Santa Rosa Wall was my favorite dive this trip... or maybe it was Punta Sur... or maybe Columbia Shallows... sheesh, they are ALL my favorites!!

Hotel Coz was a great place to stay, with very friendly employees, especially the wait staff. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!! Have my fun for me!

We really wish we could have made it down there with both of you. Just not in the cards this time. Great you are having a wonderful time. Do me a favor and bring me a couple bottles of Montejo back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom