Trip Report *live* Indo Aggressor Komodo deep South trip quarantine @ LBJ March 2024

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tsuyoshi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had previously been on this same trip in 2022 & truely enjoy diving in central & South Komodo with help of the same fine crew.

So I jumped on the booking with liveaboard.com when there was a holiday special without hesitation. On hind sight now, I wished I had dug deeper into how Aggressor handles problems with several "eyebrow raising" reports online.

At the moment (3/13), we are "stuck" on board Indo Aggresor in Labuan Bajo harbor as the Harbor Master had shut down the harbor since 3/9 from 3/11 til 3/16 due to weather, while the boat Indo Aggressor were scheduled to disembark on 3/11 to 3/18. Only smaller speed/day boats were allowed exit and entry.

Of the 12 guests, none of us were notified of the situation until we were braught onboard on 3/11 given many of us had been in transit half way around the world. But most of us had entered Indo by 3/9 or 3/10 so could have re-plan accodingly. Some of us learned about it from other canceled liveaboard travelers in town.

Instead, the crew were instructed to quickly bring us on board 3/11 and go through the motion of setup then to be given the "old" news of harbor lock down from 3/11-3/16 and the trip is canceled for those day while we were also sugguested to consider the option of making alternative plans or wait for the harbor to hopefully reopen on 3/16 & dive 2 days. Some travelers in town that were informed early had already got out in time while we scrambled to find no out bound flights available for the next day or 2 since it was a bit late.

Not to mention being baited to the situation so the trip would be considered commensed and received the news from Aggressor & Liveaboard.com quickly the next day that the trip is not consider cancelled as we are accommodated on board in port. No refund or compensation will be given especially for those choosing to leave early. We were suggested to consult with travel insurance.

So from the deliberate withheld of the situation, precious time is now lost nevermind the costs of the Aggresor booking.

In a stark contrast, some of us who are friends of other liveaboards in town learned that some cancelled and provided some refund to guest while those not cancelled provided diving accomodations via local dive shops. Today a group of us on Indo aggressor paid for a boat to take them out.

The shut down was known 2 days in advance yet not delivered to us until getting onboard certainly felt deliberate & the "lack of" offer a tough pill to swallow. Reminiscent of corporate practices of maximizing profit and minimizing liability at the expense of customer & staff.

Though this certainly seem like a first world problem complaint and no one would certainly want to knowingly set sail in a potentially dangerous trip; especially when a couple found that their lower deck cabin door leading to the escape hatch was jammed. BTW, not as many cockroaches this time but they will come out to say good night.

Hope this will help some to make informed decision and strongly consider the crazy expensive travel insurance these days.

Attachments

• 20240313_073740.jpg
    20240313_073740.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 118
Ugh—that really sucks. Here’s a link to an article discussing the port closure and the weather situation, which makes it sound seriously risky, and verifying the port closure due to the risk of high wind and heavy seas. It’s good that you’re safe. I hope they offer something reasonable, but more importantly that you get some dives in. Good luck!

Went to Labuan Bajo for the long weekend, 8.3-12.3. On Saturday, we had good dives despite bad vis (for Komodo) and a bit of surge, but no issues. That day, a boat ran aground, and the bad weather forecast led the harbor master to close the port for park trips. We had high winds Sunday afternoon, but on Monday, the weather seemed better, yet the trip ban was extended until 18.3. It's unfortunate for stranded divers and tourists, but it's rainy season, and harbor closures happen every year for couple of days due to bad weather. In this case, Agressor isn't to blame (at least for the closure). The authorities closed the harbor on short notice; it's force majeure. How however Aggressor handled the situation is definitely eye brow raising

Not to mention being baited to the situation so the trip would be considered commensed
I'm curious how this situation played out. I think it's okay that the Operator offered to stay on the boat, however, the price should be made clear and not much more than a local dorm bed, e.g., 100k Rp/night. If nothing was communicated, they can't consider the trip commenced. Also, it's worth mentioning that Aggressor has not much to do with the local operator/owner; they are basically acting as agents for many of the liveaboards they offer, but of course, they are ultimately responsible, and I would try to get a full refund from them (& not a voucher). I don't think that their StormCheck policy applies: 'Any guest whose diving is interrupted as a result of a named tropical storm will receive a credit voucher based on the number of days of diving missed in the form of a "StormCheck®"'

I'm curious how this situation played out. I think it's okay that the Operator offered to stay on the boat, however, the price should be made clear and not much more than a local dorm bed, e.g., 100k Rp/night. If nothing was communicated, they can't consider the trip commenced. Also, it's worth mentioning that Aggressor has not much to do with the local operator/owner; they are basically acting as agents for many of the liveaboards they offer, but of course, they are ultimately responsible, and I would try to get a full refund from them (& not a voucher). I don't think that their StormCheck policy applies: 'Any guest whose diving is interrupted as a result of a named tropical storm will receive a credit voucher based on the number of days of diving missed in the form of a "StormCheck®"'
You touched on some great details which we were answered w a hard "NO" early on by the Aggressor VP spoke person. I believe he told one of the guest that the trip is considered COMPLETE once we boarded even though in harbor with no diving done from the LOB. That may even screw up those who had travel insurance that only covers a cancelled trip. We ask the on board director/manager/guide (who is IMO one the hardest working and greatest manager I met in my Indo travels) to speak with the local Indo Aggressor Co which would not offer anything. We asked Aggressor if they have any type of insurance and were told no.

I booked via LIVEABOARD.COM that basically gave me the same aggressor response which is you should have travel insurance and file claims with them.

If anyone has good ideas for any recourse, pls PM if you so incline.

Some add'l details update.
Several of us requested 15L tanks and more specifically steel tanks for HP and were told they are available by all the booking parties. But on close examination. They were 13.2 L/100 Cu Ft LP AL tanks which we were going to be charged per tank for 15L.

Attachments

• 20240311_142824.jpg
    20240311_142824.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20240311_142828.jpg
    20240311_142828.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 99
were answered w a hard "NO" early on by the Aggressor VP spoke person
I can only imagine how upset everyone must be. Unfortunately, not even their StormCheck® policy applies. 'Head of the Eltari Kupang Class II Meteorological Station, Sti Nenot'ek, said that what is happening now is not a storm, but extreme weather' :rolleyes:. Still, I would try; maybe the guests can 'unite' and try the legal route... but not sure if this is worth it. At least try to get social media exposure. For me, this story is the final nail in the Aggressor coffin... I had 3 trips with them in the past, with my last one also having some 'minor' issues, but with the many bad stories I'm hearing, and the change of my diving interests, no more Aggressor trips for me.

You touched on some great details which we were answered w a hard "NO" early on by the Aggressor VP spoke person. I believe he told one of the guest that the trip is considered COMPLETE once we boarded even though in harbor with no diving done from the LOB. That may even screw up those who had travel insurance that only covers a cancelled trip. We ask the on board director/manager/guide (who is IMO one the hardest working and greatest manager I met in my Indo travels) to speak with the local Indo Aggressor Co which would not offer anything. We asked Aggressor if they have any type of insurance and were told no.

I booked via LIVEABOARD.COM that basically gave me the same aggressor response which is you should have travel insurance and file claims with them.

If anyone has good ideas for any recourse, pls PM if you so incline.
The way Indo Aggressor handled this was a bit shady, to say the least. Unfortunately, the first thing the liveaboard companies and their travel agents will say is, "Do you have travel insurance?" or "Take it up with your travel insurance." They want nothing to do with good customer service.

This really sucks for you, and I can say that because it really sucked for me when I was on the Damai II in November/December 2023. A diver died on the third day of an 11-night trip in Raja Ampat. We lost three days of diving, and I lost $900 per day. I booked a single in a cabin, thereby the high daily cost. I had single-trip travel insurance...denied. I made a claim to my annual travel insurance...denied. I made a claim to the Chase credit card company that had travel benefits...denied. All because the event didn't fall under a covered incident. I don't know if you have travel insurance for the trip, but you could try making a claim.

Are you still onboard? If so, get a letter or some documentation about the trip interruption/cancellation for your travel insurance. If not, there's not much else you can do. Perhaps social media shaming could bring attention to their behavior.

You may know this already, but the Aggressor brand is not a corporate structure. All the boats are owned independently by franchising, so each operator conducts business how they choose. Aggressor is known not to be customer friendly when things like this happen. Liveaboard.com is your travel agent, and since they made the commission on your cruise fare, they are supposed to be your advocate when issues arise. I have not heard good things about them.

This isn't "eyebrow raising".

This is outrageous.

It poisons the Aggressor name and tarnishes the industry as a whole. If, 2 days before flight day, I received a call from the LOB operator that the harbormaster had closed the harbor for the next week due to weather, I'd be thankful for the heads up, dispirited by the weather, hopeful for a quick re-schedule, miffed by the flight change fees, but I'd least have TRUSTED the LOB operator to provide useful, timely information, and I'd have gladly rescheduled. This is outright theft of your money and clearly not giving a flying fuhk about you as a human being. You're just a human- skinned sack of greenbacks to them.

There is absolutely no way in hell I'd book an Aggressor trip anywhere on this planet after reading this. I'll take my chances with a boatload of German smokers on one of those ex-emirati spaceships they seem to flock to.

Back
Top Bottom