Live View or Viewfinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many strobes do you have and which ones do you use?

How does that work when the video is going, the strobes would not be firing.

I am currently using dual Ikelite Ds125's. I am looking at updating to the DS161 movie as the strobe has 50watts more power than the Ds125's i have and also it has 15w LED modeling lights which I can use for video lights.

Regarding Video on the d90 without lights/strobes I just adjust the white balance. The Tokina 10-17mm is also a great lens to use with video on a DSLR.

I am taking advantage of the Ikelite TTL housing to strobe setup which is one of the major reasons i havnt gone towards a strobe like the Inon z240.

Regards Mark

Viewfinder all the way....
Or even shooting without looking through it in WA shots!

Use the Force Luke!

House the D-90.....no question.

Housings are more than the camera. The D-90 is a modern cropped sensor rig that is unlikely to be improved on much in the future. You will get 5 years out of the D-90.

Nikon live view DOES NOT work underwater. It is too slow. Forget about it!

if you have the cash buy a housing for both units you can take them both diving at the same time set one up with a 105mm macro lens and one with wide angle or fish eye. then you are not restricted
the amount of time i have gone diving on macro and spotted some brilliant wide angle shots it drives me mad i am currently using a Nikon D70s with ike housing
but i am buying a Nikon D700 with nauticam so i will be diving with both 1 unit set on macro and the other on WA

Hi I have a d40x in the aquatica housing and my buddy has the d90 also aquatica. On the liveview on the d90 it does not show any shutter speed, aperture or asa. The liveview is for viewing only. He uses the viewfinder for all shots except for mantas and shark shots as quick viewfinding is needed. Also as the d40 series is not sold anymore you might get a good deal on a housing.

P&S = shutter lag
DSLR = live view lag. LCD goes blank when mirror flips up to actually take pic on most cameras. Not good. My D300 does this, so the D90 probably also does. Not suitable for moving subject or camera.

Hey all,

I am looking at housing a camera and I have both D90 and D40x bodies. There are many different functions that separate them, but one of the main differences is live view (I have a P&S that I am currently using and use the live view).

I am curious if people use the live view on their D90 or the view finder? The live view would obviously make it a bit easier, but I am wanting to keep the D90 for land use while on vacation and just keep the D40x in the housing.

It may not be possible, but I am just wondering what everyone uses.

Mike

A week in Bonaire 21 dives all viewfinder. Live View to slow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom