Liveaboard Guam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenofozz

Reaction score
Hello, I am off to Guam at the end of November and was considoring a package deal to Palau, but on second thoughts I have been hearing great things about liveaboards, has anyone done any liveabords out of Guam?? My friend and I are interested in heading to Palar, Yap, or even staying on Guam, what do you all think?
:tree: :fishy:

There are no live-aboards operating out of Guam, nor in Yap. But there are a few operating in Palau. From what I've heard though, it is much better to dive Palau with the day boats:

1. all the boats go to the same spots, day boats and live-aboards

2. the boat ride out to the rock islands every morning is a fun time in itself, something you won't get with the live-aboards

3. if you really want to spend the night under the stars on the water, better to camp out on a rock island instead of cramped up on the boat. Sam's Tours rents camping equipment and can arrange to pick you up on your little island in the morning for diving.

4. It's nice to take a break on land during the late afternoon and evening... check out some local food, walk around the neighborhoods, check out the local bar, the gift shops, etc.

All in all, you will save a lot of money, Palau is one of those few destinations where its better to go with the day boats.

h3o once bubbled...
Palau is one of those few destinations where its better to go with the day boats.

Others, including me, differ with that conclusion. I've been to Palau twice on liveaboards and have plenty of dives without a dayboat in sight. Furthermore, the liveaboards can easily dive the sites when the tide is best for the dive. For example, Blue Corner and Ulong Channel would be deadly dull at slack tide. Lastly, if it's your thing, you can squeeze in 5 dives per day on a liveaboard.

The best part about Guam is that you get rather good (not fabulous like Palau, but still lots of fun and good vis) diving with plenty of shopping and restaurants and night life. Can't get that with a live-aboard!

I guess the advantage of a live-aboard in Palau would be that you get to sleep in and yet be the first diver in the popular spots like Blue Corner. To each, their own. I was with friends who are not as into diving as I am, so I opted for the day boat tours. I didn't notice much by way of night life in Palau. Everything looked pretty dark after midnight. Not that I minded, since we had 7:30 pickup times for our dives.

Thanks guys, well, things all worked out in the end and I am off to Tokyo on business tomorrow and then onto Guam on wednesday. OW course straight away, then hopping across for a package in palau. In the end I opted for the non liveaboard this time, but think I will try it in April next year in Thailand.

Great tips, cheers,

soon to be mermaid jen!:tinker: :mermsm:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom