Liveaboard in Feb or March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depth Gauge

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

I took a Peter Hughes trip in July to Turks & Caicos and absolutely loved it. I'm hooked on liveaboards! I've been thinking about taking another one in Feb or March and was wondering where everyone might recommend during those months. Anywhere in the world is open to my schedule and bank account.

Thanks!

Jason

Similians (Thailand) - they tell me March is Whale Shark season, need I say more.... I was there in December and loved it, March would not be too soon to go back - shame my holiday allowance does not allow me this year!

Jonathan

Thanks Johathon,

I was thinking SE Asia would be in their rainy season. Is that not true? Whale sharks would be GREAT!!!!!!

Jason

We are trying the liveaboard thing in June. We're headed to the GBR, do you know that the U.S. dollar is almost double in Australia? The price for a liveaboard sure looks good when it's cut nearly in half:) . It's whale season in June, we hope to see some Minkes, plus the Coral Sea! Next on our liveaboard list if this goes good will be Fiji then Micronesia.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Yeah, thanks for the freudian slip Scuba Jim! :)

Caymaniac, no I didn't know that the US dollar is double that of the Australian. Your trip sounds like a good one. What liveaboard are you going on?

Jason

Since you're in Boston, if you don't want to travel half way around the world, consider some closer liveaboards:

I did Turks and Caicos with Peter Hughes. Very, very good trip.

1. I LOVED the diving (and crew and fellow divers) on the Sea Fever out of Miami. Dove the Bahamas (Bimini area -- North Victory Wall, etc.). Here's their web site Cheap. Much better than doing a Blackbeard's. Boat was 90 feet (a little small but one heck of a great trip).

2. Try the Caribbean Explorer: SABA, St. Kitts, Statia and St. Marten. Great crew. Better ship than the sea fever; more expensive too. here's their site

Thanks Newhampster!

The Carrib Explorer looks like a great trip. Were you on the Sea Dancer out of Provo? I loved that trip!!!!!!!!!!! Nina and Darren were GREAT. They are now on another Peter Hughes vessel out of Grenada. I'm tempted to go on that trip just to spend a week with them. Haven't heard wonderful things about the diving though. Some friends of mine just got back from a Peter Hughes trip to PNG and loved it! Unfortunatley it's now the rainy season and the boat moved to Palau. The idea of diving closer is definately on my mind, less time in the air, more time on vacation, etc. If I find a really great deal somewhere exotic I might just go for the long journey. I actually heard Cocos is good this time of year. Have you ever taken that trip?

Jason

Depth Gauge once bubbled...

Caymaniac, no I didn't know that the US dollar is double that of the Australian. Your trip sounds like a good one. What liveaboard are you going on?

:wink: Hi Depth Gauge, the liveaboard is the "Diversity" out of Port Douglas. One reason we chose the Diversity is because it goes to Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea. Mike Ball also goes there but if they find out you are American they'll charge you more. Try Pro-dive on a seach engine, or Diveoz, or Diversity. There are a number of liveaboards that operate out of Port Douglas and Cairns. For a four night trip its about $1K,$US.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom