Liveaboard Outside of Exumas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kukymc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ive been reading alot about different peoples experiences with the different liveaboards in the Bahamas.

Alot of you all are mentioning Blackbeards-

While ive been on Blackbeards ALOT theres another company out there ( out of nassau) thats goes a little above and beyond to suite your personal needs while diving and while being on vacay.

Dont get me wrong, ill recommend blackbeards to anyone who asks.

BUT ill also recommend Lost Island voyages. lostislandvoyages. com

While they are a little bit more expensive, you dont have to worry about how crowded the boat is going to be, ( there is usually only 12 people) you never break down your gear, you have plenty of air-con in the cabins... CABINS? yes everyone gets a cabin where they can store EVERYTHING, and you also get a dive locker and bench where you leave your tank and everything set up for the whole week ( or longer) they offer 10 days! Not only that but shower in freshwater!!! and have yummy fresh water with a sink in your cabin! The cooking is amazing, everything is home style recipes, not to mention the amazing captain.

Whats even better? they go outside of the exumas, and if you haven't, trust me you havent seen the TRUE bahamian water!! Ive heard they do "expeditions" all the way down to Rum cay.

Theres an island not many people advertise about; Conception Island. I would put it in the top 10 places to dive before you die. Walls and reef galore, theres even STAGHORN in some places!! which is beautiful ( if you dont touch it) and endangered! every time ive been aboard the avalon ( lost islands sail boat, a 60 foot ketch) ive gone to conception island.

Just throwing it out there!!! Im thinking about going in march; as they start back up on their season!! :banana::banana::banana:

If I understand correctly, Blackbeard's is the budget arm of an organization that includes the Aquacat, which likewise offers a more premium experience for a higher premium. I looked at the web site you indicated and didn't spot the rates; can you link directly to a price page for them?

Perhaps we should compare to the Aquacat rather than Blackbeard's?

Richard.

If I understand correctly, Blackbeard's is the budget arm of an organization that includes the Aquacat, which likewise offers a more premium experience for a higher premium. I looked at the web site you indicated and didn't spot the rates; can you link directly to a price page for them?

Perhaps we should compare to the Aquacat rather than Blackbeard's?

Richard.

I myself also looked for rates, and could not find them! I think this liveabaord is just a upscale blackbeards:shocked2:But do not know. The rooms from the photo page look small.

One of the Main reasons i would compare Black beards to Lost Island adventures is because of the similarity in boats! In my understand, Blackbeards should not be affiliated with The Aquacat and Cat Ppalu. They are owned by the same people, but from what i understand are different companies.

Another is simply because LIA is the same type of trip as BB, just broader in terms of location and quality of boat.

The avalon is probably one of the nicest working sailboats ive ever done a trip on.

The rooms are big enough. Keep in mind its a little bit smaller than the BB boats But atleast it has a large compartment underneath your rack for TONS of storage, and not to mention PRIVACY which is something i NEVER had on BB's. Also the heads are heaps nicer and there are two compared to BB's. MY personal experience also is that i LOVE the crew of the avalon! it is something that is constant, rather than an interchangeable crew of Blackbeards!! you never really know whos going to be crewed on the boats of BB, and what their real intentions of being there are.

They recently switched websites. Hmph. I still have my price list sheet and here are the following individual prices. dont quote me but i think they may have group rates.

Rates for 4 Day / 4 Night – $795.00 / person
Rates for 7 Day / 6 Night – $1,190.00 / person
Rates for 10 Day / 9 Night – $1,690.00 / person
All meals, All beverages including, Beer, wine, rum drinks, Tanks, weights, weight belts Fishing equipment

Lost Island also lets you sail. They have always put the sails up when i was there and the crew have always been more than helpful in teaching me what i wanted to learn! You can also fish and put in beach time requests. They also have dedicated shark dive with cage trips!

One of the Main reasons i would compare Black beards to Lost Island adventures is because of the similarity in boats! In my understand, Blackbeards should not be affiliated with The Aquacat and Cat Ppalu. They are owned by the same people, but from what i understand are different companies.

Another is simply because LIA is the same type of trip as BB, just broader in terms of location and quality of boat.

The avalon is probably one of the nicest working sailboats ive ever done a trip on.

The rooms are big enough. Keep in mind its a little bit smaller than the BB boats But atleast it has a large compartment underneath your rack for TONS of storage, and not to mention PRIVACY which is something i NEVER had on BB's. Also the heads are heaps nicer and there are two compared to BB's. MY personal experience also is that i LOVE the crew of the avalon! it is something that is constant, rather than an interchangeable crew of Blackbeards!! you never really know whos going to be crewed on the boats of BB, and what their real intentions of being there are.

They recently switched websites. Hmph. I still have my price list sheet and here are the following individual prices. dont quote me but i think they may have group rates.

Rates for 4 Day / 4 Night – $795.00 / person
Rates for 7 Day / 6 Night – $1,190.00 / person
Rates for 10 Day / 9 Night – $1,690.00 / person
All meals, All beverages including, Beer, wine, rum drinks, Tanks, weights, weight belts Fishing equipment

Lost Island also lets you sail. They have always put the sails up when i was there and the crew have always been more than helpful in teaching me what i wanted to learn! You can also fish and put in beach time requests. They also have dedicated shark dive with cage trips!

Very intriguing.

We are checking out Blackbeard for a trip - but I will also look at this group. Im waiting to hear about a few "deals" that would have a nice commission and if they hit I told my wife we would go away again this year.

Not sure what all this means but it came up when the site was visited...

Category: Intrusion Prevention
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,Risk Name,Attacking Computer,Attacker URL,Destination Address,Source Address,Traffic Description
1/7/2011 10:57 PM,High,An intrusion attempt by 78.26.187.177 was blocked.,Blocked,No Action Required,HTTP Fragus Toolkit Download Activity,"78.26.187.177, 80",78.26.187.177/500/grgzxrbwxuxzenbwcn.php,"NICK-PC (192.168.1.100, 63602)",78.26.187.177,"TCP, www-http"

I sent them an email with a few questions about their trips as well as a request for pricing.

Looking at going this year.

Also sent an email to the folks at Blackbeard

The Aquacat is a luxury liveaboard with large staterooms. If I was to compare it t to Cayman Aggressor. Level service is comperable, food on the Aquacat is much better, the roooms on the Aquacat are larger,diving in the Caymans is much better, Aquacat has larger tanks. The camera table on the Aggressor is much better. The Aquacat is more stable. I do at least one trip on each boat every year.

Thanks for all the great tips-sure makes a difference when you folks have been on the liveaboards. Been thinking of trying one. Scotty

Back
Top Bottom