Liveaboard Repo Man from Galapagos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SNIP-This is why I generally go with reputable chains-SNIP
This sounds similar to what happened a few years ago with the Nekton boats, and they were supposedly one of the "reputable" ones--my point being is that it can happen with *any* operator when you least expect it regardless of their prior reputation. And Nekton even kept taking people's money even after they knew they were filing for bankruptcy. I feel your pain, mth1993.

This sounds similar to what happened a few years ago with the Nekton boats, and they were supposedly one of the "reputable" ones--my point being is that it can happen with *any* operator when you least expect it regardless of their prior reputation. And Nekton even kept taking people's money even after they knew they were filing for bankruptcy. I feel your pain, mth1993.
Yes, I had Nekton in mind when I said...

But you never know

You can usually get a berth on the Belize Aggressor or Hughes boat with very little notice. I've done it a week before a trip. Nekton customers who did that would have been very unlucky to lose their cash.

One strategy is to reserve and pay at the last possible moment, under the theory that if they were operating last month they probably won't be going broke this month.

Galapagos liveaboards are a different story, however; if you want a berth, you have to book well ahead of your trip.

Do you have any info to confirm this so I can initiate plan B? I am going with a group of 16 mostly high school students and before I cause a panic I really need some confirmation that this is not just a rumor.

To quote Sheriff Woody...

"This the PERFECT time to panic!"

toy-story-3-woody-toy-story-3-9703321-1024-576.jpg

I spoke to the operator of another Galapagos boat last night asking whether the Buddy boats were operating. The answer was that they are, "but their legal troubles aren't over".

I have not been in contact with the operator as I am not the one organizing the trip. I did send email to two people at buddy yesterday asking for comment.

This is part of a school enrichment to get a United Nations Conservation certification. We are scheduled to do 7 days diving then 10 day in the Ecuador rain forest. All money was due from the school 45 days ago. These students have been working towards this for a couple of years. The saving grace for some may be that a few of the people purchased insurance for the trip.

Please keep the information flowing both good and bad.

Thank you.

Mike

Last edited:
I spoke to the operator of another Galapagos boat last night asking whether the Buddy boats were operating. The answer was that they are, "but their legal troubles aren't over".

Frank,

Thanks for the update. As usual, your information appears to be the most accurate and timely.

Not sure how the repo notice and translation in post # 1 is so far off the mark as the boat appears to be still operating in the Galapagos.

Harry

Not sure how the repo notice and translation in post # 1 is so far off the mark as the boat appears to be still operating in the Galapagos.

A transfer of cash solves such woes I suppose. I did receive a very prompt return email from Buddy Dive assuring me they are still in operation early this morning.

A transfer of cash solves such woes.

My guess is that a repo notice as shown in the OP posted on a board such as this will generate the desired response when the operation on one side of the dispute gets a few hundred inquiries as to why they haven't paid their bill to the shipyard's satisfaction.....

My guess is that a repo notice as shown in the OP posted on a board such as this will generate the desired response when the operation on one side of the dispute gets a few hundred inquiries as to why they haven't paid their bill to the shipyard's satisfaction.....

I think the positive of the story is no one has reported having their charter cancelled over the last 4 weeks.

Last edited:
From Buddy's own website Our Yachts

Smooth, stylish, spacious and comfortable, M.Y. Wolf Buddy and M.Y. Darwin Buddy, the newest and most spacious liveaboard dive-yachts in the archipelago of Galapagos, are much more than just two floating hotels.

The two 120 Feet (36 m) long yachts with 4 decks, which form Buddy Dive’s Liveaboard’s fleet
, are custom designed by Buddy Dive and Varadero Maridueña in Guayaquil, Ecuador, which took them 12 months to design and 11 months to build.

If the whole fleet is doing a Dick Cheney, how are they running a diving business? Other than accepting cash payments for future trips?

Back
Top Bottom