Liveaboard Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone -- new to the boards. I want to experience Indonesia, particularly for the mantas. I did a search but no liveaboard was recommended more than once. I wasn't overly swayed towards one option.

What liveaboards would you recommend?

I'm considering allstar liveaboards because I had a good experience on blackbeard in the Bahamas, but spirits aren't included on their indonesia boat.

Thanks!
Reza

Last edited:
I don't know anything about that boat in particular, but if you're fairly sold on a boat for all reasons other than the booze policy, I wouldn't let that stop you. In the grand scheme of things, the additional cost of some on board hooch isn't much compared to the total cost of the trip.

Diving experience is my priority (over food, boat size, food, cost). I was being cheeky about the spirits.

I'm hoping to spend less than $3000 for the liveaboard (flight excluded).

Any thoughts?

Ah, gotcha. It'll also depend on what part of Indo you want to dive, but your options will be somewhat limited for that price point, so that should at least make it easier to decide. I was looking to keep my recently booked boat under $3500, so I know where you're coming from. Even on All Star's Aurora, the only trip they have for under $3K is the 7 day Komodo trip, and there are limited dates for that.
{{ $root.GplusTitle }}

Try looking on Diviac to see what's available for the months you are looking to go and go from there. They show far more options and schedules than liveaboard.com, etc.

I ended up going with the Samambaia. I've never stepped foot on the boat, so I can't speak much to it, but I thought it looked like a great deal. It would be in your budget as well, so be sure to give them a look.
{{ $root.GplusTitle }}

Also, I noticed that you list yourself on here as having 0-24 dives. From what I understand, some of the dives in the area can have some pretty wicked currents, so you may want to talk to some people on here that know the area better than I as to whether this kind of trip would be a good idea before you get a few more dives under your belt. Please don't take that wrong, as I promise I'm not trying to be condescending... I'm just saying it may be something to take into consideration.

I will certainly look into diviac and Samambaia in particular.

I sensed concern not condescension in your response. I have about 20 dives under my belt from my last liveaboard. I'll speak to the divemaster before booking the boat.

Appreciate the help.

That is pretty inexperienced for Indonesia... that being said, you could go and have a great time. I have seen people with a huge amount of dives struggle with Indo currents and less experience do just fine. Just follow directions/dive briefings etc. I will just caution you that the cheaper the liveaboard the less likely you will be cared for underwater.

The cruise director on Samambaia is a great guy so that might be a good choice. Probably a bit out of your budget. I might suggest, considering your budget going to Nusa Lembongan for the mantas (Mola Molas too when in season) or staying in Bali and taking day boats to Nusa Penida/Lembongan. There is a ton of fantastic diving and culture in Bali.

When do you plan on coming to Indonesia? How many days do you have planned? It's going to take some time to get here and back.

Depending on the season Komodo may have Mantas in the North or South. A 7 day itinerary may not get you all the way to the south, so double check if you go that route.

@Cali_diver has a good point, Nusa Lembongan may be good, especially if you don't have a lot of time.

Hi everyone -- new to the boards. I want to experience Indonesia, particularly for the mantas. I did a search but no liveaboard was recommended more than once. I wasn't overly swayed towards one option.

What liveaboards would you recommend?

I'm considering allstar liveaboards because I had a good experience on blackbeard in the Bahamas, but spirits aren't included on their indonesia boat.

Thanks!
Reza
We are glad to hear you had a good experience on Blackbeard's. As far as level of experience for Indonesia we do recommend having at least 50 logged dives for the Komodo itinerary, which tends to have higher currents than Raja Ampat. Both areas can offer opportunities to see Manta Rays. In Raja Ampat we frequently have Mantas down in Misool, on our Komodo itinerary you will likely see them at both Komodo Channel and Manta Alley.

If you are interested we are offering two itineraries this summer in Komodo Pay for 7 Nights Get 2 Nights Free. It is a 9 night itinerary for $2,520 departing from Labuan Bajo.

www.allstarliveaboards.com

In regards to your being a new diver, yes Komodo can have some wicked currents, but that doesn't seem to stop any of the brand new divers I've run into with. If your comfortable underwater, hell why not? Your DM should take your experience in consideration, they see hoards of divers these days with very few dives. When I talk with a diver who has like 10 dives and they've been on a dive with 10 manta I tell them "might as well quit right now cause it doesn't get much better".

You can't swing a dead cat in Komodo without hitting another boat be it a LOB or dayboat out of LBJ. So you have plenty of options to choose. LOB'S cost a bit more than dayboats from LBJ but aren't as tiring and you can dive more of the park. There are LOBS in every price range, you get what you pay for. You can go from sleeping on deck with beer that gets warm on the third day cause its in a cooler to over the top luxury. Last year I slummed it on a budget LOB Weta Molas and it was suffecient but certainly not comfy. I went on it as it was going on a Southern trip and I can hardly get enough of Southern Komodo.
Another option which might be right up your alley is Scuba Junkies, they have a resort just outside the park in the central part of the park, and it's a bit cheaper than a budget LOB. It's a well run operation, a good value, and have a couple of accommodation options and the days are probably a bit shorter than diving out of LBJ. I've been to SJ 2x and recommend it over a dayboat out of LBJ.
Spend some time with Google and you'll find the choices overwhelming.

If you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom