Liveaboard with fewer old people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its not just SFO. The Amazon bots in Seattle display similar traits.

I recently a couple of those on a liveaboard in Indonesia. Granted they were closer to 30, regardless I found them to be quite engaged, non-entitled, wonderful and charming. Broad brushes shouldn't be used in this thread to my mind. Look how many folks on this thread were offended about being undesirable because of their age.

Mine too.I suggested that her critic may have been an entomologist.

Oh agilis, you can be so bad!

(chuckle)

I've been on 3 liveaboards now, and Mike Ball in Australia was the only one that wasn't average age 50! Last few have been explorer ventures, maybe I need to start branching out to different companies.

I love liveaboards but as a person in my twenties I really have nothing to talk about with people in their sixties. I love the alone time but am wondering if there are liveaboards with more people my age or even 30-40?

This might provide some guidance in answering your question if you're still looking and haven't hung up your fins.

4. Trip quality - I'm totally down with mid-range/budget options (e.g. Seaventures) and will occasionally splurge on luxury ones (e.g. Mike Ball). However, while I'm considering like Blackbeard's liveaboard off of Nassau at the lower end I'm worried that I may be a bit too old to be that grungy (at the ripe old age of 26, soon to be 27). The thought of not having hot showers at all, and absolutely no privacy (in both cases previously I was lucky enough to have a cabin to myself while paying to share), is a bit off putting...Especially if the water won't be that warm and viz low in December. However, options in the Southern Hemisphere where it will be summer are much farther away...

I've resisted commenting on this, but fark it... As an old bastard, I can't let it stand.

It's sad the OP feels the way he does. Judging the value of a person based on their age is hilariously ridiculous. Considering it's a dive trip especially, I would think that the priority should be on the quality of the divers on board, not their ages. Of course I see the OP has "25 - 49" dives, so presumably he knows all he needs to.

Ugh, on second thought, I'm not going to waste my time. After all, I'm old and I don't have much of it left. I intend to fill the remaining time I have by diving (5,500 and counting!), photographing cool stuff, skiing, mountain biking and all sorts of other things. I just really hope I don't get stuck on a boat with a wee child like the OP who's attitude sucks.

Help Scubaboard, which liveaboard has the most old people with tons of diving experience and great stories? Preferably at least one guy who just rebuilt his gear sourcing parts from Vintage Double Hose, one guy who can tear apart and put back together any Scubapro regulator, one silver-haired mermaid who has photographed thousands of nudibranchs and has one named after her, and a dude who adopted a kitten when Jacques Cousteau’s Siamese got naughty on a Greek Island. Help please I really need to feel comfortable with the demographics when I’m traveling and although I’m not so young anymore I like being called “kid” ;-)

Help Scubaboard, which liveaboard has the most old people with tons of diving experience and great stories? Preferably at least one guy who just rebuilt his gear sourcing parts from Vintage Double Hose, one guy who can tear apart and put back together any Scubapro regulator, one silver-haired mermaid who has photographed thousands of nudibranchs and has one named after her, and a dude who adopted a kitten when Jacques Cousteau’s Siamese got naughty on a Greek Island. Help please I really need to feel comfortable with the demographics when I’m traveling and although I’m not so young anymore I like being called “kid” ;-)

I'll volunteer to help boost the average age of your liveaboard group, if you'll just pay for my trip expenses. :)

Scubacat8, I've run into just about everyone of those folk you refer to but not all were on liveaboards. Some of those I've met were on land at exotic liveaboards. Generally though, in those sorts of places the divers, even the serious photographers with their own books and such haven't built their own scuba gear . . .perhaps their own camera systems! And I will forever be grateful to Burt Jones and Maureen Shimlock whom I met at Sipidan's Borneo Divers Resort, so many moons ago, for turning me onto Lycra scuba socks, at a time when my feet had become bootie-related hamburger.

I'll always laugh when I think of the 20 something boys from Cape Town South Africa. For the first few days they had the "eyes in the headlights" look of shock and horror to have found themselves on the Dewi Nusantara with bunch of old fogeys. But it didn't take much time before everyone was loving on each other. :) I'm sure those 2 young men would still prefer to spend that much close contact time with people closer to their own age but now they know better than to be horrified, right out of the gate. Omg, the laughs we all had together playing games and telling jokes until bed. Of course, no one was calling anyone "cockroach" either, so there's that.

Really, it doesn't matter where we go or what any of us do at any age along the way . . .we're going to meet people that we love and people that we decidedly do not like. That's just life and we do our best to enjoy and try to be sure that "we're not THE *one*" on that boat. (You know, as Wookie was saying . . ."there's one on every boat and if you don't know who that is, it's probably you!")

Oops, look at that . . .I just rambled on as old folk tend to do. :eek:

Funny thing happened on the way home just the other . . . Oops, did I say that outloud? Nevermind

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom