LiveAboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going on the Blackbeard's liveaboard trip for a long weekend in the end of March. I'm not concerned with the accomodations at all. I'm going alone and I'm just going for my love of diving and to escape reality for a few days. I haven't dove since November and I miss it terribly. I'm also stressed out with my job and this winter weather has been depressing. I can't wait to get on that boat in Miami. Just like you said in your post I don't care about the lack of luxury. I'm going for the adventure, the escape, and to dive dive dive. This is my first liveaboard so it's all going to be a new experience for me and I'm very excited about it. Most of my diving experience lies in wreck diving in the North Atlantic so some tropical diving will be a nice change.

I've heard good things about Blackbeard's cruise and I have a good idea of what to bring and what not to. Any pointers/advice for a 1st timer?

Hey Marcos,

Blackbeards was a great time last year and if it weren't for the impending strike at my company I'd be going again this year.

My first bit of advice is to make sure that you take Triptone or even better yet use Transderm V (available at your local pharmacy behind the counter) for the crossing. It is rough in the best conditions.

Pack light but make sure you take your rain gear & warm woolies for at night. The temperature drops significantly - I wore my drysuit weazles to bed it was that chilly.

Make sure you do the shark dive - after they are done feeding you can find sharks teeth near where the food is rigged up & they make some nice souvenirs.

Try and be the last person in the water - after the others have completed their dives, the marine life will start to appear again. We saw a lot more than the other divers by doing this - the giant green moray eels just don't like a lot of divers around them.

Take a spare parts kit for your gear. Make sure you have all that you'll need since it may force you to use the gear on board which may not be your personal preference.

Exposure suits - while you may be used to 80F water, I was diving in a 5mm suit, and some of my buddies wore 7mm to stay warm. After 40 mins on the bottom you can still get chilly.

I'd also recommend those heavy duty plastic clamps to make sure that your gear doesn't abandon ship while drying off.

That's about it really. You'll have an amazing time.

Thanks for all the great advice, I'll be sure to use it. About the wet suit... I'm going in the end of march and they said to bring a 3mm. I dive in the north atlantic in a 7mm farmer john with hood/gloves and a cheater vest, but bottom temps are in the low 50's. I was planning on bringing a 3mm, do you really think a 7mm is necessary in the bahamas that time of year? Thanks again for your help.

It depends on how easily you get cold. I'm a bit of a suck and would have preferred a 7mm on some dives. Some of the other divers were fine in their 3mm shorty.

If you can dive a 7mm in the 50's then you should be ok in the 70's with a 3mm.

Divemistress & Marcos, I’m enjoying your discussion about Blackbeard’s. I too am going on a Blackbeard’s liveaboard, for a week in February. I’m going with a group from a LDS, so I’m also hoping to pick up some dive buddies. One of my friends dove BB’s last year and had a great time. I like winter (really) but this time of year a break is good, so I am really looking forward to warm weather, sun and lots of good diving. I’ve talked to several divers who have done Blackbeards several times. The quality of the dives is supposed to be great with lots of chances to get wet. That’s what I need to break up the winter.
Thanks DiveMistress for the tips about what to pack. Some good ideas. For what its worth I’ll be wearing a 3mm full wet suit. I dive a 7mm with hooded vest in Lakes Michigan and Superior, so I think the 3mm will work for me. But, I will bring along a 1.5mm shorty to wear under the 3mm if I need it.

Blackbeards was a lot of fun last year & I'm sad to miss it this time around.

One thing I neglected to mention was that you should bring some warm water neoprene gloves. These come in handy when doing the lobster dive. You don't need a spear for this one, just freedive down, grab the lobster and twist his tail off him.

They came in really handy, we had 24 lobsters for 17 people!

DiveMistress2:
One thing I neglected to mention was that you should bring some warm water neoprene gloves. These come in handy when doing the lobster dive. You don't need a spear for this one, just freedive down, grab the lobster and twist his tail off him.

I had picked up some thin warm water reef gloves, but I will also pack my neoprene gloves. Thanks.

I've also heard about the rough crossing and taking seasickness meds. I was debating if I needed to do this. I have not had problems with getting sick, even on rough days on Michigan so I was thinking that I may not need to take anything. But I suppose it would be good insurance.

It is soooooo cold here today. I'm counting the days till I can see water that you can't walk on!

I don't get seasick either but I was right in there with the transderm V patch. It's better to take preventative measures than to get sick and have it ruin your vacation.

We only had 1 hurler on the boat and they didn't normally get seasick either. After being sick the first day, they didn't feel normal until they had their feet on solid ground again.

I have done 2 different liveaboards. One was from Ft. Pierce, Fl. to the Abacos for 6 days. This is a barebones trip-fill your own tanks, help with the anchor. The food was great and diving was very good. I just came back from a trip that left from Key West and went to the Dry Tortugas for 3 days. This was a spearfishing trip aboard the M/V Playmate. We had a blast. Had never been spearfishing before but now I'm and addict. Food was fabulous and the amenities were great. Stewardess actually made up my bed every morning! I will definitely do this trip again. Cost was $250 per day. Even though there were 2 bathrooms on the boat of 11 people this was never an issue. I would suggest trying a shorter trip to see if you like a liveaboard first, then try a longer more involved trip. The M/V Playmate can be viewed at seaclusive.com. I highly recommend this crew. I think they also have regular dive trips that don't involve spearfishing, but try it, you'll like it!

Got any more info to share on this bare bones fill your own tank operator? WWW site, prices, name?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom