liver biopsy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlove

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does any one have any opinion on diving after a liver biopsy? I am planning on having one 3-4 weeks b4 a dive trip. I will ask my Doc but it seems when Docs are asked questions these days they are more interested in covering their *** from litegation then an honest response. I am in great health, I do not take any mediction of any kind.

Regards,
Mike

Well, I'm interested in covering my rear from litigation, too, but I will say that (assuming this is a fine needle biopsy) all damage from a liver biopsy should be well healed by 4 weeks post procedure. Any life-threatening complications should have shown themselves by that time, as well.

I'd be more worried about diving with an illness that made somebody want to biopsy my liver . . .

I read your dive journal, what a hoot. If you can dive those cold, dark waters, any where else will seem easy. They are looking for scar tissue on my liver. I am more worried about the procedure then any scar tissue they may find.

Regards,
Mike

Good luck with the liver biopsy. Talk to your doctor about your concerns.

TSandM: most likely a biopsy of the liver will involve a core.

Yes, fine needle was the wrong terminology, but I was referring to a needle (as opposed to an open) biopsy.

mlove:
Does any one have any opinion on diving after a liver biopsy? I am planning on having one 3-4 weeks b4 a dive trip. I will ask my Doc but it seems when Docs are asked questions these days they are more interested in covering their *** from litegation then an honest response. I am in great health, I do not take any mediction of any kind.

Regards,
Mike

I had a liver biospy in mid May and dove for 5 days in July. The nurse assisting the Dr. was a diver and we talked diving during the procedure. Dr or nurse saw no reason not to dive and I had no pain after the first day. Good Luck with the procedure we are still working on my diagnosis looks like PBC or PSC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom