Living Underwater vs. Manta Raya in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cher4Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

Going to Cozumel over Memorial Day vacation - staying at the Presidente - got a great rate at usairwaysvacations.com. I'm an advanced diver; my boyfriend was certified in Cozumel Christmas 2000. We didn't have time to do any boat dives during that trip, but he's been to the Keys, Grand Cayman and Bonaire since then and is diving pretty well.

I was planning on diving with the on-site facility, Scuba Du, for three days - the boat is larger, more room for him to set-up, and shore diving is included if you purchase 3+ days of diving with them. For the remainder of the trip, I wanted to try another / maybe better operation. I was considering Living Underwater because I have heard many good things about them. But recently, Manta Raya has also beeing coming up as very, very good.

Has anyone dove with both operations? Does anyone have a preference of one over the other? Is the boat comfortable (as in -is there sufficient room for each diver without stepping over one another)?

Any opinions / suggestions would be greatly apprecaited. Just want to ensure that we have the "best" time possible.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks again!

I spent 7 weeks on Cozumel in Nov and December checking out everyone. Never heard of either of those operations until one showed up on a post the other day. I guess we swim in different circles.

adios don O

My husband and I just got back from Cozumel and stayed at the Presidente and (like you) dove with Scuba Du because of the special dive package with the hotel. However, the first 3 days we dove with LIVING-UNDERWATER and I cannot tell you how wonderful this dive op is! Oracio and Gabriel are premier DM's and those steel 95's and 120's are to die for!! I promise you will not go wrong with Living-Underwater! We are planning on a return trip to Coz in October, probably staying at the Presidente (I just love that place!) and will dive with Living-Underwater the entire time. Again, you cannot go wrong with this group.

Cher4Scuba:
Hi All,

Going to Cozumel over Memorial Day vacation - staying at the Presidente - got a great rate at usairwaysvacations.com. I'm an advanced diver; my boyfriend was certified in Cozumel Christmas 2000. We didn't have time to do any boat dives during that trip, but he's been to the Keys, Grand Cayman and Bonaire since then and is diving pretty well.

I was planning on diving with the on-site facility, Scuba Du, for three days - the boat is larger, more room for him to set-up, and shore diving is included if you purchase 3+ days of diving with them. For the remainder of the trip, I wanted to try another / maybe better operation. I was considering Living Underwater because I have heard many good things about them. But recently, Manta Raya has also beeing coming up as very, very good.

Has anyone dove with both operations? Does anyone have a preference of one over the other? Is the boat comfortable (as in -is there sufficient room for each diver without stepping over one another)?

Any opinions / suggestions would be greatly apprecaited. Just want to ensure that we have the "best" time possible.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks again!
I love Living Underwater....especially if you are an advanced diver.....they use steel 120's and 95's and the bottom time is worth the few extra dollars....average bottom time when i dive with them is 80 minutes..and they set your equipment up....take it with them for the remainder of your dives and clean it and have it all set up and ready for your next dive....no carrying it back and forth...they do it all....fresh fruit and water on boat...and surface intervale is usually at a nice beach with restaurant... Jeremy is who you would contact...he is great...
melissa

There have been some recent changes at Living Underwater that you may wish to know.

The US partners, Sabine & Darren Kavesh just very recently completed divesting themselves of the op, including selling the boat. IMHO, Oracio gave them a pretty good screwing over, and they were perhaps a bit too emotionally involved in the business, but that's history. His is entirely out of the picture. The company is now completely in Jeremy's name, and his family is giving him financial backing. He'll be doing his own reservation work via email & phone as there is no shop, although Sabine will help him out for 60 days to show him the ropes. He's keeping a land-based employee. The boat was sold to Max, a chap with ties to Aldora, but Jeremy has first priority to rent it any day he has customers. Jeremy also got the cylinders and rental equipment.

Yes, Manta Raya is a good op, but if you're looking for something along the lines of Living Underwater (e.g., oversize tanks, more diver freedom) I very highly recommend Liquid Blue http://www.liquidbluedivers.com/indexx.html . Tell Michaela that I sent you.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I've never used Living Underwater therefore I can't say anything about them. I've used Mantarraya along with some other friends and we've all been very happy with Fernando, he really helped me and my girlfriend on our first dives, explaining in detail the dive profiles, keeping us in check and insuring we had a safe dive.

There are many good Operators in Cozumel and I think Mantaraya is one of them.

Have know Fernando for many, many years, and I, too, have high praise for him & Manta Raya.

Stay golden.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom