Loading Spearguns on Deck Allow or Not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keemau

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend of mine does not allow divers to load guns on deck. I agree. :no: He told the same two divers over and over again and still they did it. Finally he told the owner of the boat. Who’s friends feel that they above the rules, that if they do it again he wouldn’t drive the boat if they were on board. The owner backed his friends and the Captain walked. The owner without a Masters or even a 6pack license took the commercial dive boat out with 15 passengers. Opinions please.

A loaded gun on deck is stupid, but then so is taking out 15 passengers without a master's license. Stupid is as stupid does, my mama always said.

Next, we'll hear that most of those 15 weren't "passengers" because they didn't pay. The Coast Guard isn't interested in who paid, only who is on (I assume a commercial vessel) the boat that isn't crew.

Who wants to go spear fish with 14 of your closest friends anyway. In my experience, once 15 shooters get in the water, the fish tend to leave.....

I agree with Forest.

I have heard stories of a captain who has thrown more than one loaded speargun overboard. I actually had an idiot try to hand me a loaded gun from the water...tip first. I let him keep his gun, but not without a couple of harsh words.

WOW this has never been a issue on the boat i work for , even the nubbie divers dont pull that crap up here..(north atlantic)...No one has ever even thought to load a gun on Deck....I feel bad that some of you guys have to put up with stupid people like this.. jeez!

I have seen signs on boats that say, "Loaded spearguns will be thrown overboard." In Lake Michigan, I don't get spearfishermen on my boat but if I did I would display such a sign and I would throw loaded guns overboard. No second chances.

A friend of mine does not allow divers to load guns on deck. I agree. :no: He told the same two divers over and over again and still they did it. Finally he told the owner of the boat. Who’s friends feel that they above the rules, that if they do it again he wouldn’t drive the boat if they were on board. The owner backed his friends and the Captain walked. The owner without a Masters or even a 6pack license took the commercial dive boat out with 15 passengers. Opinions please.

Good for him for sticking to his guns! (no pun intended!)

People should have more respect for the captain of the boat. While everyone is on the boat, the captain is responsible for all on board, especially when it comes to blatant disregard for safety.

He needs to report that violation to the Coast Guard, regardless. There is no way the owner should have taken paying customers on a boat without a proper license, period. It is just as bad, if not worse than an Open Water certed diver trying to teach people how to dive.

The owner should be reported to the USCG immediately. I can't fathom owning a charter dive boat and not being able to legally run it as a matter last recourse alone.... running it illegally because of a disagreement over a safety concern with the actual captain........ Sounds like a preference for money over safety.

Spear guns are weapons, just like any other weapon you only have it loaded when on the shooting range.

I brief my divers to unload at the beginning of their ascent. I deal with a lot of new hunters and feel that's the best way to approach it. As for the owner, USCG needs to be told. There are far too many unqualified folks running boats out there that give us all a bad name when something goes wrong.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom