Loaner Hog harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mthirsc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently became enamored of a BP/W with hog harness. However, I often loan out gear including BC's and am wondering how practical it would be to adjust a hog harness for different people. It seems a lot can be done with the crotch strap, but adjusting the rest is kind of a hassle, at least in my limited experience with them. Should I stick with the Zeagle BC for the loaner rig? Just curious since my harness has barely been adjusted since I set it up.

Maybe use a sharpie (silver would be best for a black harness) and mark where it fits on you or whomever uses it the most. It can be adjusted for individual borrowers as needed and set back to its original configuration quickly. Maybe just draw a line across the strap in the middle of where it passes across the back of the plate at the bottom since it probably won't be moving too much at the top.

Halthron,

That's a good suggestion, since my wife will probably use it most regularly. Thanks. It just seems it took me about three dives to get mine tuned properly, and will that be an issue for the occasional user? However, even on dive one it was better than a BCD... so maybe I answered my own question there.

IMO, loaning out your gear is a bad idea. You are trusting those people to take care of your life support system, not to mention, should the unfortunate happen and they are involved in an accident your gear will probably be taken as evidence and possibly never see it again, such as my friend who had his brand new double E8-130s taken as evidence, never to be seen again.

"Hey man, brand new gear, really hard to adjust, so I don't really want to loan it out."

I frequently lend my gear, but I dive with the person who's using it. It takes about five minutes to adjust the harness and a couple minutes more to fine-tune it to the new diver. It's usually not perfect, but close enough.

I'm really not very worried about what somebody can do to my gear on a simple shore dive, especially when I'm there, and I'm not terribly worried about something catastrophic happening to them on such a dive. I don't know that I'd lend my gear to somebody to take to Florida and cave dive with, but Bob let me take his BP/W/long hose setup to Australia with me!

OneBrightGator:
IMO, loaning out your gear is a bad idea. You are trusting those people to take care of your life support system, not to mention, should the unfortunate happen and they are involved in an accident your gear will probably be taken as evidence and possibly never see it again, such as my friend who had his brand new double E8-130s taken as evidence, never to be seen again.

"Hey man, brand new gear, really hard to adjust, so I don't really want to loan it out."

Whoa, I'm always diving with the person. Sometimes friends or relatives will fly out to visit and don't bring gear, or their gear is crappy anyway. Or I have a friend who can't spare the cash for gear, but is a far better diver than I, dove professionally and went through Navy dive school.

I always end up rinsing it etc anyway... If someone has an accident a BP/W and a couple of AL-80's lost will be the least of my concerns.

I have a loaner rig that I let people use (I've always been diving with them too) and while it is currently setup with quick adjustment buckles ... uggh - I'm going to get rid of the shoulder adjustments and replace them with a standard hog harness. The crotch strap on the other hand I find a pain to adjust so I'm going to keep the adjustable buckle on it.

Aloha, Tim

I use white-out to mark the slider spots on mine. Mostly for my own use. My BP/W companions all have their own stuff.

Good input folks. The crotch strap is an issue... my current set up is pretty easily adjusted at the front... I even did it underwater on my first couple of dives. It lacks a scooter ring and has a loop secured with a non-serrated keeper with the webbing run through twice if that makes sense. That one will probably become the buddy rig.

Kidspot, what kind of buckle do you have on the crotch strap... a quick realease type?

People appreciate the BP/W here, but many have already invested in normal rec gear and don't want to deal with a big change. For me, it was the doubles capability that pushed me to get a BP/W. It is more difficult to convince single tank divers.

At first I found adjusting my harness to be a pain, but over time the webbing gets easier to work with and you get a better idea of how it needs to be adjusted. Now I don't mind adjusting it at all. I have even taken off my gear and done it underwater while neutral :)

~Jess

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom