LOB question about sea sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jack Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't suffer from sea sickness normally. But when I was doing my AOW a couple years back the instructor had us do some final readings while en route to our first dive. All I remember of that trip is putting on 1 piece of gear -- running to the side and throwing up -- putting on another piece and repeating the dash. The 'chum' was attracting fish so it made some people happy...

Flash forward to now and I don't get sea sick on large boats or ships but as soon as I am in a wetsuit on a boat the heaving starts. It doesn't end until I am under the water or back on land. I am worried about live aboards because I don't know how stable they are since I have no frame of reference.

I don't mind suffering for my addiction; but I would not enjoy myself if I had to go more than a day or two. And I don't live in an area that offers overnight live aboards so I can't 'blow' a weekend testing it.

Does anyone have similar troubles and what types of solutions did they come up with?

Motion sickness patch won't work for you? Works great for me...just make sure you apply before ever leaving the dock.

Liveaboards are bigger boats so the rocking action is less pronounced unless seas are rough.
The best boat for you to try it out are the Nekton and Aquacat, both in Bahamas or the Kona Aggressor in Hawaii. I highly recommend the Nekton especially for anyone who is concerned about seasickness. The swath design of the boat (pontoons actually submerged so keeps all rocking to a minimum) really helps and most people don't need any medication. The only time people experience rough enough seas to make problems is the crossings (Ft Lauderdale to SW Bahamas, PR to St Croix, etc.). Also, being at sea for several days, most people get used to the slight motion of all boats and don't need any meds.

Issues with seasickness on regular dive boats might be helped by making sure you are well hydrated, keeping you eyes on horizon, stay out of boat fumes, don't get overheated, and not eating greasy or acidic foods before boarding. Ginger tablets also work well, you can get them at most dive shops or at your healthfood store. I take them with me on every trip and give them out if needed. Also, believe it or not, you will get over this with time. You need to relax and not "expect" to get sick. I have a friend who insists that he will get sick, so of course he does whether to boat rocks or not. He is so sure he stresses out and makes himself sick, IMHO. I am not a big fan of medications in diving but for some people they seem to do the trick whether it is truly physical or mental.

I say give a liveaboard a try but stay away from a mono-hull boat for your first trip.

robin:D

?anti-seasickness stuff ie patches, pills....I would try them....

Bonine the night before diving and then in the morning an hour or so before getting on the dive boat works for me and my dive buddy.

The patch works great for me. You need to place at least 4 hours ahead of time. If you are careful not the knock it off removing a hood or mask it will work for 4 days of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom