lobster diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gorock

Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty new to diving, and had a question about lobster catching. When I get back home this summer I would really like to do some dives going after lobsters.

can someone give me some helpful hints, maybe some regs i need to be aware of. I would probably be diving off of CT, RI, or MA(mostly the cape).

thanks all

and purchase a non-commercial lobster license. I'm not sure about the other states.

gorock once bubbled...

can someone give me some helpful hints, maybe some regs i need to be aware of. I would probably be diving off of CT, RI, or MA(mostly the cape).

thanks all

I is my understanding from local news that CT lobsters have died off, there isn't much left. I wouldn't even bother here. There is speculation that the die off resulted from all the shoreline spraying for the West Nile Virus. But I also know they had some disease year before that caused their shells to be very thin, you could poke your finger right through them. They were still edible but lobstermen were having trouble selling them.

hello.

Lobsters are my primary reason for diving. Last year was my first year. I did a few dozen dives with Eric of Cape Ann Divers www.capeanndivers.com/ during their FREE shore tours. It was a wonderful experience.

As far as the cape, I haven't dove there yet, but will this summer. terrenceboylanjr@yahoo.com, email me and maybe we could catch up. There is a great shop in Hyannis, Dive Locker off the rotary who will be doing lobster dives this summer as well. That is where i am going to start.

Be sure to have the following items with you:

a valid non-commercial lobster license.
a valid lobster guage. I have mine on a zinger which keeps it out of the way when I don't need it but handy when I get a bug.
a thin, 18" tickle stick. No spearing, just encouragement.
no fear. I have a healthy sense of respect for my fingertips and thus, have missed out on a few of the larger lobsters this year.
a small mesh bag with clip. I started with the large yellow one, never filled it - not even close, and it just trailed around. The Red shorter ones are much better.

My 2 cents.

- Terrence

you dont need a dive license to get a non-commercial lobster permit do you??? I ask because all of the rest of my family are mass residents, technically I could be considered one also, but my brother even lives on the cape but is not a diver so if it were an issue i could get him to get the permit and ill do the hunting.

thanks for your help

has to be the one with the license. The permit is for one person and is non-transferable. The EPO's will ask for ID to confirm.

You need a license either way. The non-commercial Lobster license allows you to dive for lobesters and keep up to 10 traps if you so desire. go to http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dmf/recreationalFishing/rec_index.htm for a detailed description of what you need to get started.

A word to with wise: DONT DIVE WITHOUT A LICENSE!!!!!

I saw first hand, on two separate occations, the Environmental Police confisciate not only the lobsters, but ALL OF THE DIVER'S GEAR and haul it away in his truck.

It was horrifying. But, then again, they didn't have a permit or were snatching shorts. It is simple, play by the rules and your all set. make sure yourdive flag has your permit number on it too.

I hope I didn't scare you away. I love diving for lobsters. you will too once you get the permits and all squared away. Now that I think of it, I think you can even get one online and have it mailed to you. It has to be in your name though.

- Terrence

terrence once bubbled...
I saw first hand, on two separate occations, the Environmental Police confisciate not only the lobsters, but ALL OF THE DIVER'S GEAR and haul it away in his truck.

I understand the fine to get your stuff out is more than a few dollars too...

Put your numbers on your tanks as well.

I run into those NS environmental cops guys alot over the summer, all the ones I have met are pretty cool once they find out you are legit, but, I would not want to get on their bad side.

We've all the story about the diver with some shorts or no license that hauls his boat out with his new pickup and then the cops grab the dive gear, the boat, and the truck.

DON'T BE THAT GUY

don't be the one who gets caught by law-abiding divers:wink: They're even tougher than the EPO's. Besides, it's not hard to be legal and ethical. Nothing spoils a meal like a bad conscience.

Back
Top Bottom