Lobster hunting in So Cal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bshmerlie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone going Lobster hunting when the season starts at the end of September? I really want to try for some Lobster but not quite sure where the best places to go are. Also I'm not interested in night divng so that's off the table ...as well as going deep. So basically I need shallow places (40 feet or less) and places where I might have a decent chance in the daytime. Any suggestions guys? I do have my own boat so it doesn't have to be only from the shore. Did anyone go last year and have any success within the limitations that I described? I'd even be willing to take a couple of people out on my boat if anyone is looking for dive partners early on opening morning.

Honestly, but a lobster trap. I tried to catch lobster multiple times last year while rec diving with no luck. I can give you some suggestions on how to do it but CDFW wont like you. If you want to learn to dive let me know. Good luck from Ventura.

Poseidon

Also I'm not interested in night divng so that's off the table

You're missing out. That's when the roaches come out to play.

Anyway, early season, with your own boat, I'd say West end of Catalina, maybe far side of Catalina, if you want to cruise further, San Miguel. Closer in, there are supposed to be some good spots in Santa Monica Bay, PV, Orange County near Newport (there are some MPAs that allow recreational take of lobster and urchin, and fish by spear).

Also, I've heard the closer you get to San Diego the better the hunting is better, since its closer to the middle of their range. There's a spot near Wreck Alley called the rock pile that is supposed to be crawling.

Hit me with a PM, I'm always happy to find someone who wants to try some sites off the beaten path, and I'm happy to pitch in for lunch/fuel/after dive beers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom