Lobster/Scallop Hearings this Monday and Tuesday evenings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How many other people are going to attend besides me? Remember, those who don't participate don't get to complain (at least not me). This is our chance to be heard.

I will be at the Gloucester High School hearings on Monday and would like to hook up with other divers beforehand so that we can make a unified front. Thanks!

Scott

To tell you the truth I was a wondering what the lobsterman to diver ratio would be :-(
Being held where it is will bring tons of lobstermen!!
Rick L

decapoddiver,
hi, I should be able to attend. I agree, being heard is an important issue. Lets touch base on Monday.

I might go to the one in Plymouth, there should be atleast some other divers there. I'm pretty upset about these new regs, talk about a total lack of fairness.

I'm not trying to single anyone out since I'm hearing this more from non-board divers but saying things like "I'll try to go" or "I might go" is like saying "I'll try not to complain" when these new reg's go into effect. If it matters to you, make an effort. I'm driving 90 minutes each way and paying for a babysitter for 6 hours. It matters to me:D Hope to see lots of divers there:wink:

well said. I have upgraded my status to will be there. The few things I had to take care of are in order. lets touch base (PM) monday to find a time/place to meet up beforehand if possible.

decapoddiver once bubbled...
I'm not trying to single anyone out since I'm hearing this more from non-board divers but saying things like "I'll try to go" or "I might go" is like saying "I'll try not to complain" when these new reg's go into effect. If it matters to you, make an effort. I'm driving 90 minutes each way and paying for a babysitter for 6 hours. It matters to me:D Hope to see lots of divers there:wink:

I understand why it's frustrating when people hear divers such as myself say they "might" go, although in my case it's work related, it can be upsetting that divers are often apathetic (or lazy) about fighting new regs, but, still complain about them.

Nonetheless, if you have ever been on the reciving end of a commerical fisherman rath you realizre that they often intentionally create an atmosphere of intimidation at public meeting. Many divers are uncomfortable confronting these guys directly, espically when you realize the fisherman are comming from the persepctive that you area ttacking your lively hood.

Now this specific meeting may be an exception, but, the bottom line is that the divers' main argument here is that these regs are BS because it's the commerical fisherman who are overfishing. I'm sure you guys noticed all the pro-fisherman banners up in Glouster last spring, it's one thing to mutter on the back of a dive boat to a fellow diver how the fisherman have screwed up the whole ocean, it's another thing to be brave enough to say it in a public forum.

In my case, one of good friends has a father who is local lobsterman so I'm hesisatant to go on record saying anything negative about commerical fisherman.

In the end I'll probably go to the meeting (work dependent on Tuesday), but, remember this isn't voting in secret, it's a very public action and while I would encourgage everyone to attend, I think we should be understanding to those who don't want to.

I fully understand that we will not be walking into a friendly environment (that's why I want lots of fellow divers there. Safety in #'s). My idea of a good time doesn't involve this type of activity :D

I understand that many folks can't attend due to work/family. Those weren't the folks I was addressing my comments to.

The fact remains, the reasoning behind these proposals just isn't sound. I don't plan on changing anyone's mind or making friends. If and when the final proposals go into effect, I want to be able to say that we made the State aware of the diver's presence. Now, let's go and have some fun (not):wink:

I agree, this piece of regualtion is so unfair and the reasoning behind it makes no sense.

Even if I can't make it the meeting, I frequently write letters to my legislators and you rest assure my voice will be heard.

Hopefully there won't be too many commercial fisherman at these meetings anyways.
Anyone remember when that info came out last spring about the NOAA guys screwing up some of their trawl data (wrong net size), lots of those meetings tured into yelling matches.

As a side note, anyone interesting in the big pictures of MA fisheries should check out these books, I think Amazon has both(although they are a little dated, they are still good):

"The Great Gulf: Fisherman, Scientists, and the Struggle to Revive the World's Greatest Fishery" by David Dobbs

or

"Against the Tide: The Fate of New England Fisherman" by Richard Carey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom