Lobstering???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clams23

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got certified in diving recently and ended up getting my licence to lobster as well. So I was wondering if anyone has any pointers for me (other than not to get bit) :D. I planned on going up to Magnolia Rocks or Bass Rocks or which ever one people suggest on sat the 5th. Any feed back would be of great help. Also, I was wondering if there is a place to go to check for current conditions or anything like that.

Thanks,
A Begginer

I'm not sure how experienced a diver you are, but mag and bass rocks can have tricky entry and exits so keep that in mind. I do think they are generally good places to go for bugs. You may want to try a spot with an easier entry like Old Garden or back/front beach. Lanes is usually good for lobster too. Matt S. had an article on the new defunct PG Dive web site, I'm not sure if that article is still online. I'm sure Matt will chime in. Soggy breaks down the process like this:

1. Find lobster under rock
2. If within reach, put hand under rock
3. Curse at lobster for pinching you
4. Grab lobster
5. Pull lobster out of hole
6. Curse at lobster for pinching you again
7. Cry a little because it hurt even more that time
8. Measure lobster
9. Curse because it's too small/has eggs/is v-notched
10. Return lobster
11. Repeat until you find a legal lobster
12. Put lobster in bag
13. Repeat until low on gas

14. Surface to find Environmental Police waiting to double check's lobster with their gauge (doing their job)
15. dodge falling bricks from angry lobsterman above

Monitor your air consumption closely! Don't get so hung up in the thrill of the chase that before you know it, you are running dangerously low on air.

Matt Silvia did a nice write-up on this site a couple years back. Should be able to find with a quick search. The article was titled Lobster_Hunting_for_Massachusetts_Scuba_Divers
Jim

Don't get hung up on making it a 'lobster' dive. Take your time, enjoy the sea life around you, enjoy the dive. It is nice to bag a few lobsters while diving but if your sole mission is to bag lobsters and you don't get any you may feel that it was a wasted dive.
Just my 2 cents

My tip
Pick up a tickle stick - a thin plastic rod with a slight bend in the end. Use it to stick in the hole beyond the lobster and touch its tail. It does 'fool' some lobsters to coming out, others are too smart and stay put.

Good Luck!

Tickle sticks are cheating.. Per Matt, you need to "man up" and grab them from the front (not ripping claws off of course)

Bugs are cheap now. Buy 'em on way home (support local Lobsterman) and say you caught them on your own. Use the time in the water to discover new things.

This season, I've seen new critters have never seen before. Decorator crabs, Pipefish that would have never seen had not been looking closer.

Thanks guys for all the helpful tips. I tried to look up some of those articles that some people talked about, im going to just keep looking online for some information. Thanks again it was greatly appreciated.

Begginer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom