Location of cargo pockets on a dive suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nereas

Contributor
Reaction score
Expat Floridian travelling in the Land of Eternal
# of dives
500 - 999
I just received 2 nice cargo pockets from Diving Concepts in Santa Barbara.

Options Page

I am curious about where others like to glue-and-stitch these onto their diving suits?

I have seen them either (1) on the front thigh area of both legs, or else (2) on the outer thigh area of both legs.

I would think that on the outer thigh they could easily snag on something inside of a shipwreck, whereas if on the front thigh, it is easier to keep away from such hazards.

My drysuits have always come with cargo pockets mounted onto the front thigh area. And now I want to mount one of these on each of my thin wetsuits (1/2 mm and 3 mm for warm waters), and so I am inclined to mount them on the front thigh.

But at the same time, I have to wonder what others were thinking by mounting them on the outside of the leg(s)? Maybe these are divers who simply never go into shipwrecks??

You should be able to find your answer on google.

funny:rofl3:

You should be able to find your answer on google.

seriously
If your doing the installing - Put the suit on. Stand upright. Let you arms hang and let you hand fall naturally.

Have a helper. Use a white pencil, crayon or chalk and out line your hands on the suit.

That is where the pockets should go naturally. It should be easy to reach - open - grab and close. Some do prefer more on the outside leg some a little further back.
This method is more inclined to be streamline. Less drag and less of a place to snag on. If you do wreck diving or caving. The cavers can chim in and correct me. But wreck pen is basically the same configuration.

If it is too forward it creats drag and conteracts the streamlining of your rig. Too far back you may have a hard time reaching to get things out /back in.

enjoy

If I had time I would compile a Hall of Fame for nereas posts. Scary thing is that some people might actually take him seriously.

Thanks for your thoughts, Peter.

Regarding Jeff, I have found that he is easiest to deal effectively with when muted, since there are no popular o-t-c drugs to treat mouth-diarrhea. This way then, there are less distractions.

If you ignor him then he is more likely to go away. Not always. Just more likely.

The theory behind putting them on the outside of the thighs, as I understand it, is that your shoulders have broken the water already, and the outer thigh is inside the slipstream from the shoulders. On the front of the thigh, the pocket is a protrusion out from a fairly smooth surface. I don't know how much difference it makes if you're swimming, but it might make some difference when scootering. I think a pocket on the front of the thigh would also tend to catch on stuff if you have to swim close to the bottom or through small spaces.

Thanks for your thoughts, Peter.

Regarding Jeff, I have found that he is easiest to deal effectively with when muted, since there are no popular o-t-c drugs to treat mouth-diarrhea. This way then, there are less distractions.

If you ignor him then he is more likely to go away. Not always. Just more likely.
Actually you ignore everyone who calls you on your posts. Because most (if not all) of your posts are out and out wrong and/or just plain silly. Portraying yourself as some kind of experienced diver just does everyone a disservice.

So instead, you have just left us the chance to laugh at you.

Every village has one and you're it.

Thanks, TSM !

I know that is one of the prevailing theories.

Honesty I do not experience any drag issues with my DPV.

It flies through the water in 5th gear like lightning!

Back
Top Bottom