Log Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agilis

Cat Lives Matter
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was reading, in another post, about "unfit divers". One of the indicators mentioned was a log book with very little content. I've been diving for more years than I have fingers and toes to count on, can carry a standard scuba tank 25 meters to the dive boat (and back again), and descend stairs backwards like Linda Blair in "The Exorcist". But I have no log book.

Typically, when I go out on a dive boat, the serious hyper-certified Diver Dans who own log books with more volumes than the complete Oxford Dictionary of the English Language somehow manage to run low on air while I still have 11 or 12 hundred pounds. But I have no log book. Should I buy one, and fill the pages with fictitious data, describing my work on North Sea oil rigs and my instrument navigation beneath polar ice caps?

As a rule, I try to avoid being "buddy" paired on a dive boat with any of these log book toting self-righteous scuba Taliban . I've seen too many of them panic when something goes wrong.

I'd be hesitant to make such sweeping generalizations, especially here, considering how many SBers keep log books. Log books, or at least some form of loggin is usefull, in that you can track things like avg bottome time, avg depth, etc. It's also sort of fun to look back at dives you logged a while ago and try to recall them.

I don't think it really matters wether or not someone keeps a log book, but I'd say that's a poor indication of dive buddy compitence to say the least...

you will have noticed, in that particular thread, that DiverDennis and myself pretty much try to point out the benefit of a check out dive.

Z...

Personally, I don't think keeping, or not keeping a log book, provides any indication on the competency of a diver.

I think a log book is a essentially a diary, so you can log your experiences for future memories and reference. I find mine very important to me personally, and I use it to reference things from the past which I can't remember fully.

Things, like how much weight I had when diving on a vacation in my 3mm in salt water last September (tough to recall exactly when at home I dive in a 7mm in fresh water). Or, how long do we cruise down the Niagara river before we fin for shore to the exit point where the car is parked (it's a real pain to have to walk back 500+ yards along the road in your gear). Or even before that what is that street address where we park the car for the exit.

To the Original Poster, I would suggest you ask to see the others log books on the boat ride to the dive site. That way you can than gauge others air consumption, based on past dives and make sure you are buddied up with the diver that suits you best.

I'll be happy to let you see mine ;-).

agilis:
I've been diving for more years than I have fingers and toes to count on, ..........................................
As a rule, I try to avoid being "buddy" paired on a dive boat with any of these log book toting self-righteous scuba Taliban . I've seen too many of them panic when something goes wrong.

agilis' profile info:
Logged Dives: 101- 200

You've been diving for over 20 years (assuming, of course, you were born with the usual number and have had no accidents to reduce their sum) and have 200 of fewer dives. That's less than 10 dives per year. You don't dive much, yet you come here and get self-righteous about your inability to keep records. BTW, why are you lying in your profile? You say you have 101 - 200 logged dives in your profile, then you post here and claim to have no log, which is it?

Walter:
You say you have 101 - 200 logged dives in your profile, then you post here and claim to have no log, which is it?

LOL, good one!! :wink:

Though, I suspect that agilis probably once logged dives. But as with many long term divers (I know a few), stopped logging them years ago.

It's worth noting, per his profile, agilis has been diving for 40 years. Impressive, up to date log book, or not.

agilis:

oh oh oh oh!!!

memememeem meme me me me!!!

is the answer "Troll?"

:10:

H2Andy:
oh oh oh oh!!!

memememeem meme me me me!!!

is the answer "Troll?"

:10:

Based on past threads started by agilis if he is a troll he's a very subtle one. I think more a person who likes to "stir the pot" than a true troll.

Just my opinion.

yeah, that's a troll :wink:

the subtle ones are the hardest to pin down and stop

hey, that's ok... we all need our enterteinment ... too bad some people
really get upset over this stuff

Back
Top Bottom