Logbook Bottom Time question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N2DeepInAz

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
As someone who's still new to diving, less than a year, but approaching 100 dives, I'm looking for a specific answer to the following question in regards to how to fillout the cumulative bottom time in my logbook's executive summary section.

Question: When adding up Bottom Time in your logbook do you simply add the bottom time from each dive to the next to dive and so on and so on? Or do you use the Time In/Time out method?

Just looking for a little clarification as I haven't filled in any of the BT to date. I do have the BT for each dive logged in the book, just never totalled it all up. With my dive count where it's at someone mentioned that I should start to total it up and keep track of it.

Thanks for any insight anyone may provide. I appreciate the clarification.

For each dive I make I list the time I descended to at least 5ft per computer and the time when my computer stops recording the dive time (5ft.) from surface. I convert to minutes and keep a running tally of those minutes.

Greetings N2DeepInAz and welcome to SB! I keep both the time in and out as well as total bottom time. I just started that way and have continued ever since. I do break my total BT into hours and minutes not everyone does this, just my preference.
It is fun to look at and think about how much more time one would like to have under water. Good luck with the DMC just make sure to observe and assist in plenty of classes. I have found that the experience is priceless when pondering the next step.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Since I dont have a dive computer. I use a stopwatch. I start it once Im 5 feet under. And I note the end of my bottom time when I start my safety stop.
:coffee:

I log the time dive time from my computer as bottom time which includes the safety stop and use this time to generate the pressure group.

I add the bottom time (computer dive time) to the cumulative bottom time which I run in minutes

I use the term "bottom time" for decompression purposes only. I log this as such, but also log decompression time and keep a running total of "underwater time," from decent to return to the surface. For me this is important, as "bottom time" is only about half of the "underwater time" of the dive.

i count from in to out.

hey, that sorta rhymes!

As someone who's still new to diving, less than a year, but approaching 100 dives, I'm looking for a specific answer to the following question in regards to how to fillout the cumulative bottom time in my logbook's executive summary section.

Question: When adding up Bottom Time in your logbook do you simply add the bottom time from each dive to the next to dive and so on and so on? Or do you use the Time In/Time out method?

Just looking for a little clarification as I haven't filled in any of the BT to date. I do have the BT for each dive logged in the book, just never totalled it all up. With my dive count where it's at someone mentioned that I should start to total it up and keep track of it.

Thanks for any insight anyone may provide. I appreciate the clarification.

QUESTION: How in the HeII did you get to 100 dives and manage to keep track of how much time you've spent underwater??? Will you do my taxes???

Don't get too hung up on this, replace the time you spend pondering this with planning more dives!

Back
Top Bottom