Long but shallow profile, what kind of training do I need

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As the only So Cal GUE R3 diver it's a bit lonely around here. I do have the option to dive with some very kind GUE T1 divers who understand my situation. I took the class for a few personal reasons and to see if T1 is something I would like and want to make the $$$ investment. I don't regret taking it and I really learned a lot not only from the class but of my diving ability and comfort level. I did get the tech pass for fundies and could have trained for T1. Yes the standard gases 21/35, 30/30 and deco on 32 uptp 35 % (per my card) is very conservative but, it was (the way i understand it) to make the class available to a wider range of lower level GUE divers. The standards are at the fundies rec pass level not the tech pass level. Lower PO2 levels and greater margin for buoyancy swings. My guess is that if you got a fundies tech pass you're more likely to go to T1 then Rec 3 unless $$$ is the issue as it was with me or your desired dive profiles :) ... Besides more training can't be a bad thing. YMMV...

I like the R3 profile Hepcat62 posted. that would be just fine for me with no real need to go T1.

Cheers

Freezerbrn - we've got a (fairly rapidly, actually) growing community of R3 divers up here in NorCal, and a decent pile of T1/T2 divers who are also interested in doing those profiles sometimes, especially when scooters are involved. If you're ever considering heading up this way, make sure to get in touch with BAUE (our local GUE organization) as I'm sure we can arrange some good diving for you. :)

Hepcat62 thanks for the info and if i ever do come up there I will definitely look up BAUE folks. The LAUE has a fairly strong T1 and Fundies crowd as well. The offer goes same f you ever come down to So Cal. Ok I'm off to go dive Deadmans reef in Laguna Beach.

TTYL,

Best

so I did a long dive last weekend using 32% double LP80. Max depth is 62ft, average depth 45ft, dive time 140min. Ascent profile is GUE MDL, but we spend extra time at 20ft and 10ft.

The table I use to plan my max dive time is the GUE 32% MDL table (can be found here: Minimum deco limits - DIR Explorers)

Average depth - MDL time
60ft - 90min
50ft - 160min
40ft - 310min

According to this, I am well within MDL limit. My backup computer, an Oceanic, running at 32% mode, went into deco. When I ascented from 20ft, it wanted me to do 11min there, probably the same big amount of time at 10ft. I didn't exactly know because I decided to follow my table rather than my computer this time. Obviously, the backup computer was bend and went into lock out mode, which made me a bit nervous.

My question is what would you guys do? Will you follow the computer and clear the deco? Or do what I did, follow the GUE table? Is there anything I should know about this kidn of profile?

This is why I don't use a recreational computer any more. I follow the tables, and if I'm worried at all, I just do a bit more deco. I wear an X1 running V-planner at +3, and I've never had it call for more deco than I was planning on doing, anyway.

I would completely ignore the computer. There's a reason we don't use them, and I think you just discovered it :)

If you run the profile on deco planner, it shows that you're within MDL (as indicated on the table you used) Spending a few extra mins at 20 and/or 10ft is fine, but not really needed.

How did you feel post dive? Were you bent? If you felt ok, I'd call it a success,

After a week, i can say I am definitely NOT bend. I haven't felt anything abnormal. But I did have a moment of concern. I think table from now on. :)

Tables work great for me....luckily I'm built like a SEAL ( not navy SEAL.....an actual seal).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom