Question Long term effects of O2 pulmonary toxicity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To clarify the physician's statement:

There were a lot of patients whose lungs were so bad that they needed 100% oxygen to keep them alive. If the oxygen was set at less than 100% for these patients, they did not transfer enough oxygen from their lungs to their blood to sustain life so they received 100% oxygen for long periods of time.

It is known that after 3-4 days on 100% oxygen the lungs are damaged beyond repair just from the exposure to the high concentration of oxygen.

If you got COVID and needed 100% oxygen on a ventilator for more than 3 days, you were not going to survive.

To clarify the physician's statement:

There were a lot of patients whose lungs were so bad that they needed 100% oxygen to keep them alive. If the oxygen was set at less than 100% for these patients, they did not transfer enough oxygen from their lungs to their blood to sustain life so they received 100% oxygen for long periods of time.

It is known that after 3-4 days on 100% oxygen the lungs are damaged beyond repair just from the exposure to the high concentration of oxygen.

If you got COVID and needed 100% oxygen on a ventilator for more than 3 days, you were not going to survive.
All of that is well and good. It's the "MILLIONS" that I find to be a load of blarney.

So we are now to believe that millions of Covid-19 stricken Americans died on ventilators that were unable to deliver appropriate FiO2 levels. Was this doctor named Ladapo? This isn't anecdotal. It's pure BS.
No that is 100% true, they couldnt maintain adequate O2 saturations in blood even at 100% O2 and with other interventions like positive pressure.

Don’t be silly. 🙄 I understand the numbers. (I’m a mathematician). I object to the statement “MILLIONS” of Americans dying on ventilators that could not deliver the correct fraction of O2. Hyperbole helps no cause here.

COVID-19 Hospital Data - In-hospital mortality among confirmed COVID-19 encounters by week

There were millions of Americans alone that died of it during COVID (Alpha wave) when we couldn't dial the FiO2 on the vents down. It takes 3-4 days at 100% at 1 ATA to kill a person... unfortunately... To quote a famous scientist: "Science doesn't care what you believe..."

“Millions” of Americans died because they couldn’t dial the FiO2 on the vents down? Something seems wrong with this statement.
As of today, the total number of American deaths due to Covid throughout the pandemic is 1,174, 578.

I am just looking to gather information now. Here is a contribution.

Total US Covid deaths (TD) = 1,174,578 According to @boulderjohn (I suspect more than that).

“Millions” > TD

Those who died while on vents is a subset of TD. See numbers from CDC.

Ego requiem meam causa.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13

Back
Top Bottom