Long-term mask maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2OU

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a hard time finding masks that seal well on my face, but I was able to locate one that seals like a suction cup! I went ahead and bought two of them so that if I wear one out, I have another one ready to go! I plan on storing the other mask until I need it.
Does anyone have any tips for maintaining the integrity of the silicone skirts on our masks? Should I store it in a mask box in a cool, dry place like normal? Or, should I apply something to the silicone to preserve it?
Thanks in advance!

Then what are you going to do when that "reserve unit" poops out?

You are suffering from a common affliction of new divers, the No-mask-aint-gonna-fit-me-like-my-first-mask-fit-me-itis.

You'll get over it. They're like busses. They'll be another one along in ten minutes.

But I agree, nothing ever fit as well me as well as my first mask. Well... maybe my fifteenth mask did.

Just keep it out of hot sunny places and it will last many years.
OTOH, as you gain experience, a leaking mask won't mean much to you anyway. The one I'm using now leaks a little. I just blow the water out every once in a while. Sometimes I actually let some water in so I can slosh it around if I have a fogging problem.

I wish I could just wear any mask. My problem is that I have a slight indention on my forehead above my right eye from surgery I had when I was young. It is where water always comes in on my masks, so I have to use a mask that is made for smaller faces. I tried the Mares X-vision mid, and it didn't seal as well as my Seadive does. I haven't been able to find Seadive masks on the 'net, so I bought a duplicate from my LDS. I just want to preserve this backup for awhile. Thanks for your help.

I have the same problem, I have a hell of a time with masks. Not from surgery, they just won't seal. I finally found the Sea Vision Ultra fits me amazingly well, so i bought one. After a few dives I really like it, so I bought a 2nd. Both bought used but in like new condition, for about 1/3 retail.

Rather than store one of them, i'm just going to keep both in play & dive them. That way if either develops a problem I'll know about it & can deal with it.

I wish I had bought a second mask when I found my holy grail mask which I wore for 5 years and some 1000 dives. :( However, since it broke a year ago I've gone through 5, and tried on dozens and dozens looking for another one that fits as well.

Storing it out of the sun and away from moisture which will keep the silicone from becoming a breeding ground for mold or getting dried out and potentially brittle.

I'd suggest not storing the spare. Just bring it with you and use whatever one comes out of your bag first. THat way you have a spare to save a day of diving if something happens to one. I wouldn't worry too much about the mask if you use both regularly take proper care of them. I dive with a guy who has been using the same mask for over 10 years.

Masks can last a long time if you can manage not to drop a tank on them or something. My husband has been using one 16 years. Every once in awhile he tries a new one then goes back to old faithful. I think I used my last one over 10 but the skirt was starting to stiffen some.

if it has a clear skirt store it away from any kind of rubber stuff including neoprene. Keeping it in a box or bag will keep clear silicone from turning yellow. Not that the yellow really hurts but nice to keep it clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom