Long: Wonderful Hawaii trip, did AOW with great diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We just came back from a wonderfull Hawaii cruise trip end of Aug. to early Sept. We got to Oahu two days before going on the cruise ship. I took the combined AOW and Nitrox courses and had some great diving in Oahu. Still unpacking but wanted to write this up.

I booked with Capt. Bruce and did 4 dives in the first day and 2 dives in the afternoon of the second day. I felt fortunate that I got to dive Mahi, Makaha cavern, night dive, drift dive, etc. I used nitrox 3 times one of them a 100' tank nitrox, and the other 3 with 100' air tanks (good thing I requested those 100' tanks early and got them.)

On the first day (Tue. Aug. 23), the instructor Kevin picked me up from the hotel right on time 7am. On the way to west Oahu picked up another diver and we had good conversation and saw the moutains where there was fire. If I was 2 days earlier the fire forced road closure and I would have missed the dives.

We dove the Mahi wreck first. It was a good refresher and I found the water in Hawaii slightly colder than in the Caribbeans. There was a fair current so everyone needed to hang on the rope till some ways down. There was some fish, not a lot, but Kevin pointed out a frog fish. It had the same rusty color as the rest of the wreck and there is no way I would have found that myself.

The second dive was Makaha Cavern. That was a really unique dive site. Never seen anything like it. It would be easy to get lost. After that dive I know to always take my own dive light. We saw more marine life with several big turtles.

For that night, I had requested to dive near Waikiki, so that won't have to travel all the way to west Oahu that night. Randy originally booked me on Enzo, but called me 2 days before (while I was packing getting ready to leave Toronto in a few hours) to said Enzo cancelled. Randy indicated he will call around but if nobody near Waikiki is going out for night dive, he will offer it even if it's just me and the instructor on his boat. When I got to Oahu, that's what we ended up with (going all the way back to West Oahu for night dive). I think this was quite good in Randy's part and I later found out not everyone in Oahu would do that because Randy wouldn't make money on one diver. It turned out one more person (a boat captain from Kona Jack's Lockers) came for the night dive.

Anyway, both of us really enjoyed the night dive at Turtle Canyon with Kevin leading. We saw many fishes, including a puffer fish which really puffed up when Keven hang on to its tail for a little while. I (and Kevin) got a few sea urchin stings. But it was quite an experience doing my first night dive. A couple times we all turned off the lights and just saw the sparkles around us. Quite amazing.

The next day Aug. 24, we went for afternoon dives. My wife and 2 other couples joined as snorklers. Randy had all the gears in everyone's sizes packed for everyone (which showed his efficiency compared to anther boat we later went to at another island). Randy was also attentative to them, helping/advising with the gears especially when some people had masks too tight (my wife had "rackoon face") It was their first boat snorkeling experience and some got sea sick, but still was a good experience.

Kevin and I did the first dive at LCU, but spent most of the time doing the navigation course requirements. Fortunately we still had some time left (I was on 100' nitrox that time) and went around the ship. Kevin pointed out another frog fish (they're ugly, but so unique).

The last dive was a drift dive (which I requested). The snorkelers and the other group of divers stayed with the boat. I forgot where we started, but ended up just past Makaha Cavern. I am an air hog, but that dive we were down for 46 min. We again swam through a series of caverns, and saw one huge turtle resting. Kevin told me not to shine light to turtle's eyes as that would blind them and they become shark food. I guess we (I) still made enough noise to wake him up. This was one big turtle. Anyway, it was good to learn what a sausage was at the end of the dive that Kevin held up above water.

Kevin indicated most boats don't like to do drift dives as they have to look for people afterwards. It helped that it was only Kevin and I, Kevin knows the area really well, and the boat still has to pass by us on the way back to the marina.

All in all, I had really good experience doing those dives in Oahu. Capt. Randy and Kevin of Capt. Bruce were both very professional and knowledgeable. Randy being able to do the drift dive and was originally going to night dive with just me (later joined by one more person), showed a lot of class on his part.

Another trip we had was in Kona on another boat. The dive sites in Kona were great, but the operator did not pay much attention to us (in fact I thought they were rude to practically ignore us most of the time) After that, we all come to appreciate how Randy and Kevin really took care of their customers. In addition to recommending Hawaii (who wouldn't) to my friends, I'd give a big thumbs up to Randy and Kevin of Capt. Bruce. It was a wonderful diving trip.

Sounds like a sweet trip - I just did a few of those dives in July. I loved the Mahi the most. Were the eagle rays flying high above the wreck?

wetrat

Gee I hate to hear DM’s puff up puffers here, or anywhere. Sure shows people have vastly different tastes on what makes them happy.

If you had a poor experience how you were treated with a dive operator, how about identifying them and describe it for other visitors that desire that level of attention to be aware of. I’ve never felt ignored but can see how some people may feel they are, details would help others consider your experience when planning their trips. The description of the folks you liked gave me a good picture.

redrover:
Gee I hate to hear DM’s puff up puffers here, or anywhere. Sure shows people have vastly different tastes on what makes them happy.
I thought some people might not like that. Well, if the DM did not hold the tail for the few moments, I wouldn't have known how they puff up like that. He certainly didn't try to hurt the fish. In one dive, a Japanese DM leading another group of Japanese divers, grabbed an octopus and kept it squirting for quite a while. In the two dives I had in Kona, the DM did just that both dives and wanted to pass it to me, I didn't not want it. At least Kevin didn't do that with Octopus but just pointed out to me when he sees one.

Kevin did also tell me not to touch any coral, not to shine lights on the eyes of turtles as that would blind them, etc. So I think he was pretty good overall.

redrover:
If you had a poor experience how you were treated with a dive operator, how about identifying them and describe it for other visitors that desire that level of attention to be aware of.
I'll write up the experience in Kona separately.

wetrat:
Sounds like a sweet trip - I just did a few of those dives in July. I loved the Mahi the most. Were the eagle rays flying high above the wreck?
wetrat
Kevin said he often sees eagle rays at Mahi, but we didn't see them during my dives. (I saw in Kona though).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom